starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chaddo's NLP log

Default Chaddo's NLP log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    To anyone reading this, I'm not sure why you're here, but whatever, this is my log. I've been going for about one and half months now, with some decent results (except for squat). I'm starting a log in the hopes that writing it down on the SS website shames me into DTP.

Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 191 lbs (185 at the outset)
    Build: Weak and skinny-fat (think Dale Gribble)
    Nutrition: Eating in low 3000s calories per day. I don't track too closely except to make sure I hit at least 200g of protein. I've been gaining about a lb per week so I think this is going okay
    Rest: I have a 10 month old who isn't that into sleeping
    Equipment: I have the shoes. I've been using a belt at the gym but I'm on the last hole so will be ordering my own soon.

Squat: Started at 95 lbs and made it to 160 taking 5lb jumps. Failed at 165 (4 reps on first set, then did sets of 3s and a double to get to 15 total reps). Was on vacation the week after, but found a gym and repeated 155, got 160 and 165, then failed 170 yesterday (ended up doing 3x3 at that weight). I struggle with squat the most. Going to read the squat chapter again today and reset back a bit in tomorrow's workout.

Deadlift: Started at 185; did 245 yesterday. Form was bad first few workouts but is better now and I've been on 10lb jumps for the last few workouts. Will see how far I can push that.

Bench: Started at 95; now at 150. The last rep was hard. Will try 155 next time but might have to move to 2.5lb jumps soon

Press: Started at 65; now at 105. Failed the last rep of the last set the first time I tried 105, but got it the next time. Probably going to move to 2.5lb jumps on this one now.

Power clean: Added this last week and completed my sets at 95. Will be doing this again tomorrow.

Good first moves!

Squats are my kryptonite, too. Keep at them; sounds like you're still progressing. Something's definitely happening there, though: To begin stalling out below bodyweight on the squat probably means form deficiency.

Longer-term you'll want to weigh more to lift more -- but you're already picking up a pound a week, and your lifts are all moving, so you're headed the right direction. You could easily bump up to 215 lbs without being a fattie, for instance. For context, if you cared to dig out last week's videos of my Pivot Week section in my Intermediate Log, I weigh 213lbs, give or take, in all of those videos. I don't feel fat, and I doubt you would either at that weight, given that you're an inch taller than me.

In any event: Great start, and way to drive on thru the first 6 weeks!
    Last edited by Geoff Bischoff; 09-25-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: stoopud grammor

Awesome job so far, Chaddo! Not sure if you're looking for advice, but since you mentioned being shamed into DTP, I ought to tell you now that just about everyone on this website is going to tell you that you're too thin at 190. For example, I'm around 220 at 6'3", granted my lifts are higher and I've got all the benefits that go along with being 19. Anyway, it's good that you're gaining some weight, but Rip would tell you that any male under 40 and above 5'2" failing squats at 165 is probably either undereating, squatting with incorrect form, or both, which should come as good news for you because you've got lots of potential left, my friend. My recommendation would be posting a form check and making sure that scale keeps going up (and possibly increasing calories a bit after a reset). If you want a good point to work from, I eat about 4200 cal/day, so take from that what you will. Anyway, feel free to ignore my advice if you don't like it; it's all just my opinion after all. Good luck, dude, I hope you can make some gains!

Thanks for the kind words and advice, Geoff and Dev. I don't have any reservations about gaining weight - I just need to do it. I weighed in at 192 lbs this morning, so things are still progressing. On to the workout:

Time: 5:30 AM. This is standard for weekday workouts. I wake up at 4:50 or 5, eat a large bowl of oatmeal, drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee and walk to the gym (just 3 minutes away, so literally zero excuses for not showing up).

Rest: Slept pretty well from 10 to 5. Tried to go to sleep at 9 but the kiddo wasn't having it.

Music: I don't really like working out with headphones but it has become a necessity. My gym plays two styles of music. On the weekends, they play what I call "Drake" because I'm able to identify some of the songs as being by Drake. The remaining songs sound like Drake but are (I think) other artists. On weekday morning they play what I call "Pho music" because this is what plays in the two pho restaurants I've frequented in my life. It is essentially early 2000s pop/adult contemporary. The quintessential song is Leann Rimes' "Can't Fight the Moonlight" from the Coyote Ugly soundtrack. Both of these selections are awful for lifting. To pump myself up today, I put Cannibal Corpse on shuffle. I then imagined a future version of myself testifying before the senate, but the opposition has received a leaked copy of my playlist and I'm being asked to explain myself.

Squat: What a debacle. I realized I have the bar way too high, so tried bringing it down some. Problem was that with the bar lower I was having trouble keeping my lower back tight. At 135 I think I curled over too much and now my back hurts. There's only one good place to film from in my weight room, and it wasn't available while I was trying to squat, but I was able to record myself doing 100 lbs at the end of my workout and even then there is a lot of obvious thoracic flexion. Back to the drawing board on this.

Press: 107.5 lbs felt good. Maybe I could have done 110 but I think 2.5 lb jumps are reasonable for now

Power Cleans: 100 lbs. was easy. This was only my second time for these and the weight is still light

With the video even of a very light weight it's clear my squat needs a lot of work, but I'm feeling good about the other lifts. There is an SSC a couple of hours away - hopefully I can find a weekend in the next couple months where I could go down there.

Welcome! If you can find yourself an SS coach nearby, go see him or her ASAP. You will save yourself so many technique headaches. I wish I had gone and seen one and signed up for SSOC sooner. Good luck!

Time: 5:35 AM
    Rest: Ate more than usual the last couple of days, but only 6.5 hours of sleep last night

Bench: Benched first as both squat racks were already taken despite getting to the gym within 5 minutes of open

45 lbs x5x2
    115 lbs x5x1
    135 lbs x3x1
    155 lbs x5x2
    155 lbs x4x1
    Ugh. I was debating between 152.2 and 155. Since I had a full tank I picked 155. Oh well-this gives me an excuse to eat and sleep more, and I get to try again on Tuesday.

Squat:

45 lbs x5x2
    95 lbs x5x1
    135 lbs x5x1
    155 lbs x5x3

Much improved today after I spent the last two days watching videos. No back pain after squats which is incredible for me. I probably should have done my work sets at 135, but I had 155 in my head as the number I wanted to reset to. All the attempts were "good" in that I went below parallel and made it back to the top, but the last couple of reps were sloppy. Will take another small step back from here and work my way back up.

Deadlift:

135 lbs x5x1
    185 lbs x5x1
    225 lbs x2x1
    255 lbs x4.5?x1

Even with an alternating grip, my grip was still failing at the end of my work set. I may have locked out or may not have - unfortunately no video. I have chalk arriving today. I might move to 5 lb. jumps now.

It would be easy to be disappointed with today's workout, but I'm feeling good about the progress on squat form.

Time: 8AM
    Rest: very well fed the last few days (up to193 lbs), but only 6 hours of sleep last night. Didn’t really feel tired though

Squat:
    45x5x2
    95x5x1
    115x5x1
    145x5x3

Felt good

Press:
    45x5x2
    85x5x1
    110x5x3

PC:
    105x3x5

Time: 5:30 AM
    Rest: Well fed, but tired. Was only going to get 6.5 hours of sleep, but an hour in I got a text that a) woke me up and b) was troubling enough that I stayed up for a while thinking about it. Probably got 4 hours total.

Squat:
    45x5x2
    95x5x1
    115x5x1
    150x5x3

These all felt pretty good. Today I'm more disappointed that my squat is still where it was at the beginning of September, but oh well. If all goes well, the weight goes up quickly, but missed reps, resets, and vacations can derail that just as easily. Oh well - form is better now and I'll up the effort this month.

Bench:
    I was nervous about this considering I failed last time and wasn't well rested.

45x5x2
    115x5x1
    135x3x1
    155x5x3

Got it! Second set was the toughest - I thought there was no way. The third set, however, didn't feel that bad.

Deadlift:
    135x5x1
    185x5x1
    225x2x1
    260x5x1

Moved to a 5lb jump today. I definitely locked out the final rep.

Other notes: I was starving after bench press. I might need to up the pre-workout breakfast. Also, I've noticed myself losing focus in my work sets. It happened Sunday with press and today with squats. I need to dial in better.

Time: 5:40 AM
    Rest: Probably under-ate a little the last couple of days. 6.5 hours of sleep last night. Would it kill me to go to bed early for my two weekday workouts?

As I missed the open by 10 minutes, both squat racks were taken when I arrived. So I decided to bench and redo squat/bench/dl day even though it was really squat/press/pc day.

Bench (first due to lack of racks):

45 lbs x 5 reps x 2 sets
    115x5x1
    135x3x1
    157.5x5x3

I wasn't sure how this would go having just benched on Tuesday. It was hard and the last rep was a total grind, but I got it.

Squat:

45x5x2
    95x5x1
    115x3x1
    135x1x1
    155x5x3

I'm feeling strong here. If all goes well I get to try 170 again a week from now.

I wasn't sure if I should deadlift again today after doing so on Monday. I guess I could have done power cleans but decided to try chins instead - just to get a baseline of where I'm at.

Chins: 3,4,4

starting strength coach development program
    Time: 9AM
    Rest: Focused on eating enough the last couple of days. 8 hours of sleep last night. Walked a lot yesterday and my legs felt sort of tired, but it was fine.
    Music: In honor of the Brazil elections, Sepultura

Squat:

45 lbs x 5 reps x 2 sets
    95x5x1
    115x3x1
    135x1x1
    160x5x3

Press:
    45x5x2
    85x5x1
    107.5x5x3 (should have been 112.5)
    115x5x2 (after power cleans)

Ugh. I had the wrong weight on the bar, which I figured out during power cleans. I did 2 sets at 115 lbs after power cleans and will do 3 sets at that weight on Thursday.

Power Cleans:

110x3x5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast