starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check - Squat/Press/Deadlift - 13 weeks into NLP

Default Form Check - Squat/Press/Deadlift - 13 weeks into NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks in advance for any critique you are willing to give.

Squat: YouTube
    felt super slow, but after watching the video, the speed is a bit faster than I thought while under the bar. Just bumped to 4 min. rest between work sets this week.

Press: YouTube
    I failed the last rep of all three sets last Tuesday. Sunday I increased my rest time to 5.5 minutes and got all reps at 125 lbs. After last weeks failure, i switched to 2.5lb jumps, this is the 3rd set at 127.5 lbs

Deadlift: YouTube
    I am most worried about my back angle. Still struggling to have that body awareness, i rarely "feel" like i am in proper extension, but these look better than my "feel" assumed they would

Hello!

Squat: Can you narrow your grip on the bar at all? The bar looks like it's too low on your back; make sure it's right below the spine of your scapula. Your right foot is angled out too much when you take your stance as well. Your feet are in-line and angled out 30 degree. Looked easy-peasy.

Press: Press is finicky and time-sensitive. You will fatigue yourself quickly just standing there with the bar, so once you unrack it: Take ONE step back, set your stance, breathe, brace, go. You were speedy in-between reps though, which is good. Eyes straight ahead. Your hip-pop power and timing is great. Be mindful of your elbows. They start off in a good position, but as the set progresses they drop.

Deadlift: Your back extension actually looks pretty good, but your hips were too high. Bend your knees a little more. Your shins should be touching the bar and your knees will be pushed out slightly into the insides of your elbow during the correct setup. It would be a good idea for you to go over the 5-step deadlift setup exactly as it's written in the book so you can re-learn the correct setup position. Lastly, don't lean back at the top. Stand up tall with your shoulders over your hips and push your chest forward through your arms, making a big Superman chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke Haubenstricker View Post
    Hello!

Squat: Can you narrow your grip on the bar at all? The bar looks like it's too low on your back; make sure it's right below the spine of your scapula. Your right foot is angled out too much when you take your stance as well. Your feet are in-line and angled out 30 degree. Looked easy-peasy.

Press: Press is finicky and time-sensitive. You will fatigue yourself quickly just standing there with the bar, so once you unrack it: Take ONE step back, set your stance, breathe, brace, go. You were speedy in-between reps though, which is good. Eyes straight ahead. Your hip-pop power and timing is great. Be mindful of your elbows. They start off in a good position, but as the set progresses they drop.

Deadlift: Your back extension actually looks pretty good, but your hips were too high. Bend your knees a little more. Your shins should be touching the bar and your knees will be pushed out slightly into the insides of your elbow during the correct setup. It would be a good idea for you to go over the 5-step deadlift setup exactly as it's written in the book so you can re-learn the correct setup position. Lastly, don't lean back at the top. Stand up tall with your shoulders over your hips and push your chest forward through your arms, making a big Superman chest.
    Thanks for your feedback. I will take note and re-read the DL Chapter and work on elbow position in the press.

In regards to the Squat, i have never felt super confident about the bar placement, attempting to narrow the grip has always resulted in intense pain in the wrists. Of course, that was with my assumption the bar was in the correct position. I will bring the bar up (which should allow the grip to narrow) and post a follow up form check next week.