starting strength gym

Thread: Main Lifts Form Check

Default Main Lifts Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I wanted to know if someone could check the videos of my lifts, now that I have them all, to see if I'm doing it good or if I need to modify something. (The weights used in all videos are listed in the description box)

Squat video:
    YouTube
    (This video contains the three sets of my last workout, a heavy set, the first one, and two back off sets)

Deadlift video:
    YouTube
    (This is from last deadlift workout)

Bench Press video:
    YouTube
    (This video is from a single I did recently)

Press video:
    YouTube
    (This video also contains a heavy set, the first one, and one back off set)

As always here are my stats:
    Height: 5'8" (172cm)
    BW: 137.6lb (62.4kg)

I would appreciate any recommendation or feedback you have, if you need more information just ask I will respond right away,
    Thanks.

How much weight have you gained in the past 3 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How much weight have you gained in the past 3 weeks?
    Somewhere near 2 pounds, however I'm increasing my calories from now on, after reading the book and organizing my priorities I knew that gaining little weight was useless.

Your form looks better than it did across the board, but Rip's question is the most important one. There's no reason you should be needing back off sets at those weights, other than the fact that YNDTFP because you refuse to gain weight. At your age, you're swimming in toxic levels of testosterone, but you're squandering the opportunity to go from a skinny little teenager to a big strong man out of fear of getting "fat". Forget your abs, we could probably count your ribs. If it seems like people are hard on you when you post, it's because most of wish we could be 16 again and do this shit when it's the easiest it'll ever be.

Eat! You'll be amazed how easily those weights you're grinding through right now will go up once you start.

Quote Originally Posted by DillonS View Post
    Your form looks better than it did across the board, but Rip's question is the most important one. There's no reason you should be needing back off sets at those weights, other than the fact that YNDTFP because you refuse to gain weight. At your age, you're swimming in toxic levels of testosterone, but you're squandering the opportunity to go from a skinny little teenager to a big strong man out of fear of getting "fat". Forget your abs, we could probably count your ribs. If it seems like people are hard on you when you post, it's because most of wish we could be 16 again and do this shit when it's the easiest it'll ever be.

Eat! You'll be amazed how easily those weights you're grinding through right now will go up once you start.
    I understand that, if I had known that from the beginning that would have been awesome, but unfortunately I got involved to lifting weights from the Bodybuilding world, where they said that the maximum weight to gain per month, minimazing fat gain, it's half a pound, so I did that until now, now I do understand what it is needed to get strong, so I'm willing to change that.
    Regarding the back off sets, my squats are getting too heavy for me to complete 5 reps across 3 sets, it's easier mentally and physically to just focus on one set and give all in that one, I know that the reason of why my workouts are getting to heavy it's because my bodyweight, but what can I do while I gain weight, not train?

Yeah maybe half a pound a month when you're already 220 and for some reason feel the need to oil up and competitively prance around a stage in a thong. But I feel you! There's loads of shitty info out there, and I made mistakes in my own LP too, including not eating enough at the beginning. However, if you're as skinny as you are and as afraid of gaining even a shred of body fat as you seem to be (or were, you say), that's verging on an eating disorder.

Obviously nobody is saying don't train. However, if you've gained 2 pounds in the last 3 weeks, and you're already resorting to singles and back off sets, whatever you think is needed to get strong isn't enough. I'm not a coach, so I don't know exactly how to handle an LP that's has been so thoroughly fucked since the beginning. I'd say whatever your back off sets are, do those for fives across and start eating like... twice what you're used to. At least.

Yeah maybe half a pound a month when you're already 220 and for some reason feel the need to oil up and competitively prance around a stage in a thong. But I feel you! There's loads of shitty info out there, and I made mistakes in my own LP too, including not eating enough at the beginning. However, if you're as skinny as you are and as afraid of gaining even a shred of body fat as you seem to be (or were, you say), that's verging on an eating disorder.

Obviously nobody is saying don't train. However, if you've gained 2 pounds in the last 3 weeks, and you're already resorting to singles and back off sets, whatever you think is needed to get strong isn't enough. I'm not a coach, so I don't know exactly how to handle an LP that's has been so thoroughly fucked since the beginning. I'd say whatever your back off sets are, do those for fives across and start eating like... twice what you're used to. At least.
    I'm fixing that huge mistake, I don't want to lose any opportunities I won't have in the future. I don't think it's an eating disorder, I think it's more that in my childhood I used to be fatty kid until last year where I started exercising more, so it's like I have in my mind that if I eat a lot I will return to be that kid.
    Yeah I don't know what to do to fix my LP, someone recommended me to do a deload and start gaining more weight, but that would end up in the same spot but me being heavier and lifting a little bit more weight, so I'm lost in that part of training, I was thinking on switching to Greg Nuckols beginner program when I definitely stall on deadlift or squat.

Nah man don’t worry about switching programs. I saw your thread where you were already thinking about post LP programming. You’re at least six months from having to worry about that if you run it right. Reset to where you can handle fives across and get eating! Lots!

And apologies if I touched a nerve with the eating disorder comment. I was being hyperbolic. I just mean that you’re 16 and skinny. If you do this right your body will turn the vast majority of that food into muscle. I’m 31, and I’ve put on 20 lbs in the last 2-3 months after not eating enough initially. Sure I’ve gained some fat, but I still have visible abdominal definition. You’re half my age and I had 50 lbs on you starting out. You’ll be fine. Just stick with it!

Nah man don’t worry about switching programs. I saw your thread where you were already thinking about post LP programming. You’re at least six months from having to worry about that if you run it right. Reset to where you can handle fives across and get eating! Lots!

And apologies if I touched a nerve with the eating disorder comment. I was being hyperbolic. I just mean that you’re 16 and skinny. If you do this right your body will turn the vast majority of that food into muscle. I’m 31, and I’ve put on 20 lbs in the last 2-3 months after not eating enough initially. Sure I’ve gained some fat, but I still have visible abdominal definition. You’re half my age and I had 50 lbs on you starting out. You’ll be fine. Just stick with it!
    I'm going to think about that, I just doesn't want to do another deload and lose time, but as you say I have to do it right. I'm planning to gain at least 1 lb/week, however in the initial weeks I may gain a little bit more.

Don't worry mate, I didn't take it as an offense, but by reading your experience I see that I may have exaggerate things in my head, I need to change my way of thinking.
    Thanks Dillon.

starting strength coach development program
    Young man, GOMAD was created for guys like you.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarciac View Post
    As always here are my stats:
    Height: 5'8" (172cm)
    BW: 137.6lb (62.4kg)