starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daniel's NLP Log

Default Daniel's NLP Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings,
    This is my first post on the Starting Strength forum. I hope that you don't mind if I give some introduction and history before I transcribe my log.

I read Starting Strength: BBT (3rd Edition) back in July 2018 in the hopes of doing barbell training of sorts. Like many others, I thought I knew a thing or two about the discipline, only to realize after reading the book I knew nothing about barbell training. So I started doing the program on August 27th, 2018, and then 4 days later received my first instructions on the lifts with my coach here in Dallas, Coach Brent J. Carter. Coach Carter is an excellent coach: quick, decisive, sharp on his feet, a lot of fun to learn from, and a good impersonator of Coach Rippetoe. I highly recommend him if you live in the Dallas area and you need a coach.

I'm 43 years old and a former athlete some twenty plus years ago (Baylor Bears Football in the mid 90's) and I put up some decent numbers in a Div. I college weight room in 1995 (Age: 20, Weight: 190 lbs, Squat: 660, Bench Press: 350, Power Clean: 305, SVJ: 35.5", 40 yard dash: 4.38 (hand time)). Before August 2018, I had never trained the Deadlift at all, so I had no clue of how to properly pick a bar off the floor except to pick the bar up just like I had Power Cleaned in college. The high school program I was in did the Hang Clean, and so when I got into a college program I did receive instruction of how to do a Power Clean or at least how they thought we should do one. Just a little background about my experience about a College Strength & Conditioning program: I couldn't imagine at that time something better, because everything we did was hard and almost meant to break you. A lot of us worked really hard because we were scared to death of 'two-a-days' in the heat of August of Waco, Texas. One of my friends used to remark, "I'd rather be in jail for two weeks!" This was before functional training arose (in our weight room at least), so just about everything we did involved a barbell, along with a happy clappy warm-up which really was more discipline and team bonding. E.g. if someone screwed up on holding their sit-up on warm-up, we start all over, and so on. The Power Clean we did is both like the SS and not like SS. The bottom part of the movement encompassed what is called "triple extension," generating a maximum closed angle of the start position at the hip, knee, and ankle to cause the greatest amount of extension at each joint. This means that the hips are lowered to close the hip and knee angle as compared to the SS deadlift position. The idea here being to garner as much hip and knee extension as possible, but in retrospect and after having read Starting Strength, most of this extra hip and knee extension gets used up on an unnecessary and inefficient bar path. The jumping position and "pop" one makes on the floor was pretty much identical to SS. Anytime later that I tried to perform a deadlift, it involved "squatting" the bar off the floor just like we power cleaned in college. One other thing I'd like to note as well. I had a lot of hamstring injuries in college, at least 3 that I recall. Nothing severe like a complete rupture or anything, but it took 4-6 weeks for each one to get better (and of course I knew nothing about making them better). Again, besides a helluva lot of sprinting, we didn't get much hamstring work in the weight room. We didn't train the deadlift, and the way we did the Power Clean, the hamstrings contributed very little to the exercise.

After my days playing football, I still squatted and still power cleaned. And one day I was performing the power clean in Gold's Gym (yeah, yeah, I know) in Waco, TX (I believe I was 26 at the time), this older bodybuilder came up to me asking me 'why are you still power cleaning?', that I was going to continue to beat my joints up if I continue to do that. He said something similar to me about the squat as well. Thinking this individual the wiser, I stopped doing the Power Clean ever again (until SS). I ignored him on the squat simply because I couldn't imagine not squatting. So I kept doing my 3 sets of 10 of 315 up to 365 on the squat for my workouts (for some reason I had it in my mind that doing 10's were really good and that I didn't need to do more than 365. I mean that's good enough to be strong, right?). And so my 30's came and gone and I was still doing my 3 sets of 10 of 315 and so forth, and then something happened and I just stopped doing my squats, benches, etc for any substantial weight sometime around the age of 33. Well, besides getting married at that time, I wasn't supposed to be doing that much anymore. I'm getting old. Older guys don't need to be squatting that much. So I started having the worst case of fuckarounditis and followed conventional wisdom, often abandoning lifting weights at all and doing other things like...running, etc.

My 40's come around. Little things bug me. My back hurts. I've got mild facet joint arthritis in my lumbar spine. I don't know how to handle the pain or really understand what I'm experiencing. I've been an engineer for 20 years, sitting down 'driving the tube' (CAD), why can't I stand up for 20 minutes without wanting to sit back down again because my back aches?? Worse, why do I want my 135 lb wife to hold the kids instead of me?? I get a sense something is wrong and not right with me. My doctor says I need to strengthen my 'core' and get it stronger. Ugh...I need to get stronger. Eventually I run into Starting Strength, not wishing to bore you any further on the details. What a blessing it has been so far. I've never seen this kind of response even when I was pumping iron in college. Amazing. And Coach Rippetoe is right; after a while, those aging aches and pains just go away from lifting.

My body stats as of October 3, 2018:
    Height: 5' 9"
    Weight: 202 lbs
    Waste: 33.5"

The Log:

August 27, 2018
    Squat: 225 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 195 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 235 x 5
    BW: 188lbs

Note: Deadlift felt super easy, but I didn't feel confident on my form to have more weight on the bar.

August 29, 2018
    Squat: 205 x 5 x 3
    Press: 95 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 215 x 5

Note: backed off the weight to be fresh for training session on Friday at Coach Carter's request.

August 31, 2018
    Squat: 225 x 5 x 3
    Press: 105 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 265 x 5

Note: Today I received my first instructions from Coach Carter on these 3 lifts. Struggled with getting the timing down on the Press. Not much whip even when I executed. Coach Carter thought I might have to default to Press 1.0 due to anthropometry, but I'm determined to get it right. Moved up to a better weight on the Deadlift that was more challenging. Squatting was generally pretty good low bar squat. I've always been a fairly comfortable squatter. Just need to lean over quicker, hit depth more consistently, and keep bar over mid-foot.

September 3, 2018
    Squat: 230 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 195 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 270 x 5

Note: Didn't move up on the Bench Press since I had done a non-standard week prior.

September 5, 2018
    Squat: 235 x 5 x 3
    Press: 110 x 5 x3
    Deadlift 275 x 5
    BW: 190

Note: Getting a little better whip on my press, but not a lot. Been very aggressive on my diet the past week or so. Started drinking whole milk too. Since I'm lactose intolerant started with half a glass a day. Taking just about 200 grams of protein a day.

September 7, 2018
    Squat: 240 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 200 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 280 x 5

Note: Felt a lot better on the bench press this go around. Weight went up fairly easy.

September 10, 2018
    Squat: 245 x 5 x 3
    Press: 115 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 285 x 5

Note: Starting to really make a bit of improvement on the mechanics of the Press here. Getting the hips out more.

September 12, 2018
    Squat: 250 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 205 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 295 x 5

Note: Feel pretty consistent on the squat. Plug and chug. 2nd set of bench was tough, only rested 3 minutes. Need a rest a tad longer as 3rd set went up no problem. Deadlift is starting to become a grind. I'm ready to start doing the Power Clean.

September 14, 2018
    Squat: 255 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 207.5 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean: 135 x 3 x 5
    BW: 194

Note: Another teaching session with Coach Carter. I did the Bench Press again here to go over its mechanics. Fairly straight forward as I had already read the book and its easiest of all the lifts. Was great to Power Clean again. Pulling the first half of the bar with the deadlift felt better than any other way I've learned. The jumping routine was standard fair for me. Weight was light, but I'm rusty. Just have to keep elbows straight and out on the jump.

September 17, 2018
    Squat: 260 x 5 x 3
    Press: 120 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 295 x 5
    Chins: BW x 5 x 3

Note: I've been doing double over hand on the deadlift. Hands got really tired on the final rep and I could feel it starting to slip down my fingers. Managed to still lock it out. Added chins in today.

September 19, 2018
    Squat: 265 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 210 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean: 145 x 3 x 5
    BW: 198

Note: I've decided to make 10 lb jumps on the Power Clean over the next 2 sessions here because 135 is just too easy.
    Last edited by Daniel Jones; 10-04-2018 at 08:21 AM.

September 21, 2018
    Squat: 270 x 5 x 3
    Press: 125 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 300 x 5
    Chins: BW x 6, 6, 5

Note: Deadlift was hard due to my grip beginning to fail. Locked them all out, but either need to start hook gripping or strap. Not going to supine grip one hand. Another break through on pressing mechanics, timing is getting good on the whip.

September 24, 2018
    Squat: 275 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 212.5 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean: 155 x 3 x 5

Note: Power Clean wasn't too bad, but I got tired and it felt like cardio. Probably my last 10 lb jump on PC and we'll move to 5 lb jumps. Bench is going up very good and Squat keeps moving and finally looks like it has some weight on it.

September 26, 2018
    Squat: 280 x 5 x 3
    Press: 130 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 305 x 5
    BW: 200 lbs (I'm now officially a man according to Coach Rippetoe)

Note: Another teaching session with Coach Carter. He thought I really improved on the press, just get better consistency on timing. Had to start hook gripping with Deadlift. Went up a lot easier. It's really nice when you have someone there to help you change the weight. Half the battle is not getting too tired from changing all your own weight.

September 28, 2018
    Squat: 285 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 215 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean: 160 x 3 x 5

Note: Made sure to put 35 lbs plates on the Bench press instead of 25lbs + 10 lbs when we added up our sum for 215 just to stick it to Coach Carter.

October 1, 2018
    Squat: 290 x 5 x 3
    Press: 132.5 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 310 x 5
    Chins: BW x 7 x 3

October 3, 2018
    Squat: 295 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 217.5 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean: 165 x 3 x 5
    BW: 202 lbs

Note: Used 35lb plates again with 295 because it looks cool. Okay, this was my best Power Clean so far and my Bench Press for that matter. Instead of the bar racking on my shoulder, I felt like I could pull it over my head on a few reps.

October 5, 2018
    Squat: 300 x 5 x 3
    Press: 135 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 315 x 5
    Chins: BW x 7/7/5

Note: Had a big bloody nose when I performed the Valsalva on my last rep of the first workset of squats. Stuffed some tissue paper up my nose, drank some water, and got'er done. I get bloody noses this time of the year as it starts to get a little more dry than summer. Need to drink more water. Maybe I'll carry a big jug of water around with me because that's what Coach Rippetoe would do. Struggled with chins on final set, just ran out of gas from today's training.

Welcome. Your story is fascinating to me. I never did any strength training until age 66 and so, reading a report from a former and now present athlete is very interesting. I will follow along.

Hi carson, thanks for the welcome. Yeah I'm interested in seeing where I end up with my NLP. It's starting to get tough, especially on the power clean days. Afterwards, I want to go nap for a couple of hours!

October 7, 2018

Squat: 305x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 220 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean: 170x 3 x 5
    BW: 203 lbs

Note: Performed this workout on Sunday, due to being out of town for business Monday - Wednesday. Going to be an unconventional week (Sunday, Thursday, Saturday). Dead to the world after my Power Clean workout.

Had three days off due to travel. Felt pretty fresh, but then I slept horrible the night before. Gahhh, just when I thought this workout would be a piece of cake.

October 11, 2018
    Squat: 310 x 5 x 3
    Press: 137.5 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 320 x 5
    Chins: BW x 8/7/6

The squat is starting to become mentally tough. Every rep is pretty tough, and I grinded a bit on my final set. Coach Carter said I need to get about an inch deeper. Started making 2.5lb jumps on the Power Clean, and I felt like I pulled most of these pretty good. All in all not a bad day.

October 13, 2018
    Squat: 315 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 222.5 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean: 172.5 x 3 x 5
    BW: 203 lbs

October 11, 2018
    Squat: 320 x 5 x 3
    Press: 140 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 325 x 5
    Chins: ---

Note: Workout was tough. Had to overcome some poor sleep the night before last. Been having some IT band discomfort on both sides up near my hip. Decreased the width of my stance on each side about an 1-1/2" and pointed my toes slightly out more about ~5 degrees extra. Really seemed to help with the discomfort. Skipped on chins today due to fatigue.

Nice work! I'm new to this thread, and to the SS forum in general. Did you seriously squat 660 @ 190 lbs BW? That's insane! Sounds like Baylor could use you coming back

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by claywieczorek View Post
    Nice work! I'm new to this thread, and to the SS forum in general. Did you seriously squat 660 @ 190 lbs BW? That's insane! Sounds like Baylor could use you coming back
    Yes I most certainly did, but it was not a below parallel squat like we do in SS. If I was to venture a guess here, I would probably have done somewhere between 550-600 lb going to the SS type of depth at that time. According to Coach Rippetoe, if a kid can jump 35.5", I'm not sure it's all that remarkable that I worked myself up to that kind of squat.

I was 190 lbs @ just below 7% body fat. The Strength and Conditioning Coach at Baylor at the time was in love with all of us being really low body fat. When I got to Baylor I was 195 lbs at around 12%. Had I known better, I would've stayed at 12%. Many athletes had to have IV's during two-a-days in the heat of Waco Texas who were below 5% body fat.

I'd like to think that I can get back to a 500+ squat at 43 (about to be 44) years old.

Thanks for asking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast