starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check

Default Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I didn't realize how shitty my form was until seeing this. I knew that the bar wasn't keeping in contact with my legs the entire way up but didn't realize it was swinging out that much.

This was my 3rd day going for 5 on this weight and I'm ready for a reset and will work on my form I guess.

My grip is killing me on my heavy set. I've tried the hook grip and it becomes too painful with the heavy set and I just can't keep a hold of it otherwise. I have been trying to avoid lifting status but...

YouTube

Do you have anything against mixed grip? My thumbs hate hook grip too much for me to do it. Alternating grip works well for me. Your back looked rounded on later reps. That said, the weight looked kinda light for you. Grip might be screwing with your deadlift. It will do that.

I was trying to avoid the mixed grip. I thought it might lead to imbalances or bicep pain.

I've read of bicep injuries from this grip and already have some issues with tennis elbow... But I've never tried it and it might be worth it just to see.

Is it a good idea to alternate whichever hand is turned in/out each session or keep it the same?

Hello again sir!

The big issue with these as Geoff alluded to is the lack of proper back position. I'm not worried about the grip until we sort that out. You are skipping step 4 of the deadlift set-up:

Give this ^^ a try and report back.

You may also have to move your stance out 4" or so to make room for your belly between your thighs.

Caleb- is his hip height good to go or could it drop just a little? It looks like he is not at the optimal 90 deg lat to arm angle though that may be corrected with the advice already mentioned.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Caleb- is his hip height good to go or could it drop just a little? It looks like he is not at the optimal 90 deg lat to arm angle though that may be corrected with the advice already mentioned.
    No, you are correct. His hips are too high here.