starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been lifting for a few years, most of it spent maintaining for some silly reason (abs). Started at 115 pounds, 5ft 8, all skin and bones, made it to a very lean 140-145 doing random programs and stayed there for 2-3 years (I am 27 now). Starting Strength has been a voice of reason and I have embraced it's methods/ ideas etc. Doing the program exact and have gained 14 pounds in the last 6 weeks on gomad + 3 1000cal meals. Trouble is it seems to me the last few weeks I have been cheating the form rather than actually getting stronger in order to lift the weight. I did the recommended 10lb jumps at first and 5lb jumps after that. It almost feels as though every set I do now is more a 'test' of strength rather than a builder of it, though maybe that is just me getting heavy enough that the weight feels heavy every time?
    Current numbers:
    Squat 235x5
    Deadlift 315x5
    Bench press 185x5
    Press 100x5
    Power clean 135x5 (though I've only done it twice so I'm sure I'll get more once I learn)

Anyway, I was hoping you might critique my squat form as I have undoubtedly ingrained some bad habits over the last few years on my own. Thank you ahead of time, you are appreciated!

235x5 YouTube

230x5 YouTube

You're stance is too wide and you "dancing" around too much at the top (though some of that could be because the plywood is shifting). Narrow your stance a foot's width on each side. Get tight without wiggling around, and get your hips back a little further (this is easier with the less-wide stance).

Cool thanks I'll give that a try

Socks and shoes. Don’t even consider not wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Socks and shoes. Don’t even consider not wearing them.
    I thought about going there, but having recently done a full training session wearing a pair of flip-flops, I felt like a hypocrite. But, you're right, shoes would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    I thought about going there, but having recently done a full training session wearing a pair of flip-flops, I felt like a hypocrite. But, you're right, shoes would help.
    I drank a bud light a few weeks back. Sometimes shit happens, but you stand by your principles.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    I drank a bud light a few weeks back. Sometimes shit happens, but you stand by your principles.
    Too bad E&P is gone or we could start a Shame Confessions thread.

starting strength coach development program
    Lol thanks guys. I'm definitely not anti shoes or anything I've just always preferred barefoot. Though I've only squatted in chucks, maybe it's time to get some real squat shoes.

Get some shoes, narrow the stance, and stop dancing - got it thanks I'll try next training day!