starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-30s Family Man Training Log

Default Mid-30s Family Man Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Who: My name is Clay, I am a 36 year old husband, father, and entrepreneur.

Why: I am hoping to be more consistent with lifting in order to stay strong, healthy, and also to intimidate my daughter's future boyfriends.

How: Through SS LP.

Background: I have athletic genetics (low body fat, great response to training). Over the last few years I have done SS and worked to probably 3/4 of my total novice phase a few times, but then I get sidetracked by life (this cycle is repeated every few months). I am hoping that this training log will assist me with some type of accountability so that I can maintain strength levels rather than continuously fluctuating. The best lifts this year in February (work sets) were: Squat 300x5x3, Bench 210x5x3, Deads 375x5x1, OHP 145x5x3. Since then I have been on again/off again, so I have lost that strength. Watch me get it back!

Stats:
    5'10"
    176 (10/15/18)

Restarting the LP with lighter weights, but I will make larger jumps initially. Day one:

10/15/18
    Sq: 225x5x3
    OHP: 115x5x3
    Deads: 275x5x1
    Everything was easy. I am increasing food intake a bit more each day, including whole milk. Sleep is dependent upon my toddler!

You are doing three out of three things that turn a male into a man. Now stay consistent with your training so you can keep it up and be strong in so doing.

If you can go see a SS coach from time to time that will help keep you on track and keep you from making any unsafe mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You are doing three out of three things that turn a male into a man. Now stay consistent with your training so you can keep it up and be strong in so doing.

If you can go see a SS coach from time to time that will help keep you on track and keep you from making any unsafe mistakes.
    Thanks. I haven't been able to see a SS coach, but I have trained with Darvis Simms, a national record holder who is a friend of mine. Check him out, this week he placed as the Masters Over 60 Raw National Champion:
    Darvis Simms on Instagram: “Masters over 60. Raw Nationals Champion! #darvis #foreverfitfirm #usapl #powerlifting #rawlifting #inspiration #motivation #fitover60…”

Default Log Entry 10/17/18

10/17/18
    Sq: 235x5x3
    Bench: 175x5x3
    Deads: 300x5x1
    BW 176.6
    Again, everything was easy. Focusing on form while the weights are still relatively light for me. Sleep was OK last night; need to get into bed earlier.

LOG:
    10/19/18

Squat: 245x5x3
    OHP: 120x5x3
    Deads: 325x5x1

BW: 177.6 (up a pound this week!)

Weights all moved easily. My wife filmed the deadlift; my form is trash. The musculature of my lower back almost always gives the appearance of being rounded, despite actually being locked. Still, back was not tight enough, unsure of getting my hips right, etc. This is the first time I have seen myself lift - props to my wife for filming. Bar speed was fast even though my form is questionable.

YouTube
    Last edited by claywieczorek; 10-19-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Adding BW and Video Link

Good on you for returning to the journey.

I wouldn't say DL form is trash. It did cause me discomfort to watch you jerk it from the floor rather than squeeze it off the floor. Long-term, you probably want to see to that.

Thanks, Geoff. It's just crazy seeing it for the first time!

You are standing too far from the bar. You should be 1 inch standing from the bar. Tha places the bar over center of foot. Take your time and set yourself up. Your hips ar too low. Partly because you are so far from the bar. Get your hips as high as possible before you pull. Pull your shoulder blades back like you are squeezing them together before you pull and pull, dont jerk.
    That is a lot of advise so don't do it all at once. Work on one thing at a time. You are strong AF and getting your form correct will only add to it.

Thanks PizzaDad (great name btw).

The first thing I noticed when I saw the video was hip height. The problem with my setup was I placed the bar over what I thought was "mid-foot", but in that case, it was over the middle part of my foot I could see (from the front of the shin to the toe, not counting my heel, etc.) Visually it looked over mid-foot from above, even though it was actually forward of mid-foot. So, the bar will be properly placed next time, which should fix a lot of these form issues.

starting strength coach development program
    Congratulations on restarting LP and welcome to the forum! You made that DL look easy! I'm certainly not one to ask on DL form, but I think PizzaDad makes some great points. Keep it up!

By the way, I notice your location is Raleigh. I live in the Triad and went to UNC-CH; spent a lot of time in Raleigh with NCSU friends. If you're looking for a coach to give you a form assessment, go to Josh Wells at Crystal Coast Strength in Swansboro. Really close to Emerald Isle. He and his wife Shelley are excellent coaches and you will recognize them from the SS books and videos. Helped me tremendously with my lifts. Strength & Crossfit Gym Near Emerald Isle NC 28594

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast