starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check (tight hammies/weak back)?

Default Deadlift form check (tight hammies/weak back)?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I have been having issues with my DL. I have done 140kgx5 with bad form but have decided to deload right down.

The below attempt is with 70kg and my back is still rounding.

I follow the five steps but it seems that even at the starting position by back is rounded. The starting position is not comfortable for me and I feel I cannot lift my chest + point my butt any more.

I have started stretching my hamstrings and doing hyperextensions. Will this help with form? Should I deload even more?

Thanks guys.

These are not as bad as you seem to think. See how your shirt on your back goes from smooth to rippled? That's a good sign. And is enough evidence of "Step 4" for you to progress the weight from here.

There are some things to work on, however.

Look at your hips. See their position after you bring your shins to the bar? They need to stay there when you start to pull. Instead you are rocking them WAY down and back before you pull. Don't do that. You say that the starting position is very uncomfortable. That's right, it is supposed to be. Resist the screaming urge of your hamstrings to drop your hips as you squeeze your chest up.

It'd be nice to see your stance and set-up without the plates in the way, because I suspect you may be setting up too far from the bar, so film from the front quarter as requested in the sticky at the top of this subforum.

Last, why did you bail on that last rep?

Keep on working!

You low back is not round, and the primary problem is that you're lowering your hips/pulling your shoulders back/ bumping the bar forward with your shins. A set of 5 deadlifts at 70kg should include not letting go of the bar between reps, and the histrionic dropping of the last rep is shameful. Don't do that.

Thank you coach and Laughing Paddler.

I tried again today. Below is my attempt with 100kg for 2 reps (no melodrama this time):

I think it looks better but still slightly dropping my hips before lift.

Is the form adequate to start adding weight?

My $0.02:

It looks like you're setting it down wrong and it makes your setup inconsistent. Make sure you push your hips back at the top until the bar passes your knees, then you can bend your knees further. This will put the bar where it needs to go for you to get right into the next rep. The form looks a lot better than the first video.