starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Rebuild

Default Squat Rebuild

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As the title suggests, I've trained for years with little instruction. Only since reading the book and this forum have I begun to understand the proper technique of the major lifts. Below is my last set at 300. It still feels like I have a ways to go to get my form dialed in on the squat so any critique would be much appreciated.

YouTube

Welcome!

Certainly not horrible! Biggest thing I see is that you're breaking at the hips before the knees, so your knees are still travelling forwards in the descent later than we'd like. Do you have a history of high bar squatting? It just looks like on some of these reps you're leading more with your chest than your hips. Hip drahve!

Yes, previously I had done high bar along with wrists in full extension, vertical torso, leading with the chest, zero hip drive, you get the idea. So it's been a battle to fight the bad tendencies especially when the weight increases. I'll put more of a focus on the hip drive. Thanks for the feedback!

Bad news is that these squats are 3-4" high. Get your knees to their spot (break hips and knees together, as Dillon mentioned), knees to their spot, sit back, go deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lupkes View Post
    As the title suggests, I've trained for years with little instruction. Only since reading the book and this forum have I begun to understand the proper technique of the major lifts. Below is my last set at 300. It still feels like I have a ways to go to get my form dialed in on the squat so any critique would be much appreciated.

YouTube
    Looks pretty good! Obviously listen to what the SSC says, but you might also try pausing between reps a bit longer - sounds like you are inhaling after you begin the rep. I find it is better to get the full breath and brace before beginning the rep.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I took what was said and tried to apply it this morning. Below is my final set. After watching it, it appears I'm still late with my knees breaking on the descent and I'm driving back with my hips instead of up. It sure as hell felt like I was going deeper this morning but am I still high?

Youtube

starting strength coach development program
    Good depth on these. Stay in your hips all the way up.