starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check. worst form probably in the history of Starting Strength

Default Squat form check. worst form probably in the history of Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I feel every rep is different from the other. And the pesky bar is trying to climb up every now and then. Also, I feel I am at my maximum exertion. Could not do another rep to save humanity.
    Should I deload or make smaller then 5 pound jumps?
    Please help
    YouTube

Dude, these aren't even the worst squats of today, let alone ever. It does seem like your form is a little inconsistent. We can't see much about why the bar might be rolling up your back from this angle, but your upper back extension and elbows don't look horrible to me. Can't see the rest of your grip though.

It looks to me like you're really bailing on the hip drive early. It seems like you come out of the hole with it, but the second you start to hit that sticking point you abandon it and start raising your chest. I used to do the exact same thing! Stay bent over when it starts to get hard to stay in those hips. It actually seems more pronounced in the later reps, so you're making the reps in which you're already tired even harder than they need to be.

You get a bit of knee slide at the bottom of some of these too. So really focus on sitting back to get to depth, and then driving those hips straight back up. Focus on staying bent over longer than you think you have to.

You're nowhere near maximum exertion! Watch your bar speed. You get stuck a little in the middle, but you're nowhere near a real grinder on any of these. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by therussianrocket View Post
    I feel every rep is different from the other. And the pesky bar is trying to climb up every now and then. Also, I feel I am at my maximum exertion. Could not do another rep to save humanity.
    Should I deload or make smaller then 5 pound jumps?
    Please help
    YouTube
    Your bar path is off - notice that at the top of the rep the bar is behind your foot, and then it moves forward toward mid foot at the bottom. This is not the bar sliding; rather, you should have more forward lean at the top of the rep so that the bar is over mid-foot the entire time (even when resting between reps). The bar may have slid, but that's not what I'm talking about here. The path should be a straight line, and yours looks more like this /

Imagine the bar over mid foot like it is on a rail during the rep, that helps me.

Stay after it.

Quote Originally Posted by claywieczorek View Post
    Your bar path is off - notice that at the top of the rep the bar is behind your foot, and then it moves forward toward mid foot at the bottom. This is not the bar sliding; rather, you should have more forward lean at the top of the rep so that the bar is over mid-foot the entire time (even when resting between reps). The bar may have slid, but that's not what I'm talking about here. The path should be a straight line, and yours looks more like this /

Imagine the bar over mid foot like it is on a rail during the rep, that helps me.

Stay after it.
    Thank you very much. I see when I am standing the bar is behind my foot. how do I remedy this? bend over as i stand? what in the world is wrong with me?

thank you. I know a good form when I see it. but myself I am not sure what's going on. in the beginning I could not keep my knees out either. so slowly but surely I am on the right path. How often is it appropriate to post form checks?

** I might be repeating info here, I'm not looking at other replies when I type to practice my coaching eye **

Your squats are not bad. Few things:

1. You initiate with the hips too far back. Get the knees out forward earlier. You can see the knee slide on the way down.
    2. On your third rep, on the ascend, you rock back and forth. This is because of #1 above. Look at your toes lifting up. I stopped watching here.

On the bar slide:
    When you unrack the bar, keep your chest up and try to squeeze your elbows into your sides. This will make you "pull down" on the bar a little. Keep this tightness throughout the set.

Post another vid. Let's fix this.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by therussianrocket View Post
    Thank you very much. I see when I am standing the bar is behind my foot. how do I remedy this? bend over as i stand? what in the world is wrong with me?
    I'd say to watch some more videos on the starting strength youtube channel. You want the bar over mid foot the entire time, which of course is challenging to do!