starting strength gym

Thread: Rotator Cuff Rehab

Default Rotator Cuff Rehab

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all! Yesterday, I strained/tore/hurt in some way my rotator cuff while benching (it had issues last week, too). I had the same injury multiple times in high school and once in college. This time, it was because I let my elbows flare on the bench to avoid some elbow pain, which ironically had subsided as of yesterday. I had a hard time pressing afterwards, but chin-ups didn’t bother me in the slightest. I’ve included my recovery plan/program alterations below and would love some input, validation, or hurtful criticism.

Currently, my program involves Pressing, Benching, Strict Pressing, Pause Benching, and chins (also squats, deadlifts, and secret powercleans, but that’s not germane). To facilitate recovery, I propose to:

-Replace my bench with weighted/volume chin-ups for at least 2 weeks
    -Reset my press by 10% and potentially try to push it up faster
    -Possibly add in some medium sets of 8 presses (2.0 and 1.5 style)
    -Do heavy barbell curls (maybe)
    -Re-introduce pause bench first, with a weight representing a ~10% decrease in normal bench (I pause 85% of my TnG)
    -Get my squat and deadlift up
    -Remember that the bench is just an assistance lift for the press, so it’s not a big deal

Dale-

Sorry to hear you are having some issues with your shoulder.

Can you press now without pain?

Your plan sounds mostly reasonable... just a bit complicated.

General Guidelines for any muscle tweak:

1) Reduce load- till you can find a pain free load
    2) If that doesn't work, reduce range of motion until you find a pain free range of motion.

Once you find this pain free load/range. Slowly increase it each workout- range of motion first and then load.

That means for the shoulder- try just de-loading press and bench first. If that doesn't work, try light pressing instead of bench and/or restricting range of motion with a pin press.

Chins and curls are fine- just don't over do it and irritate your elbows again.

I hope this info helps. Good luck!

Bekah, what about if the pain is manageable under load, but always occurs throughout the entire pressing and bench pressing movement, even without the bar ? Should I keep on going, or abandon the press in case I cause further problems ?

Go back see doctor, do not pass go, refrain from pressing.

Thanks for the input, all!

Bekah, you are absolutely right the I was being needlessly complex; I was dead tired and saw my error later.

Pressing feels fine, if a bit weaker, so I'll do that. Benching didn't hurt (although I don't usually feel pain with these things), but I found it really hard to keep a good bar path, so I'll fix it. Also, chins have always made my elbows feel good, and I've largely addressed my squat grip error.

Not sure if the thread from Rip was to me or Nockian, but I doubt I have bursitis, and my doctor is definitely not the person to go to about lifting injuries. If things don't get better fast, I'll shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Waters View Post
    Thanks for the input, all!

Bekah, you are absolutely right the I was being needlessly complex; I was dead tired and saw my error later.

Pressing feels fine, if a bit weaker, so I'll do that. Benching didn't hurt (although I don't usually feel pain with these things), but I found it really hard to keep a good bar path, so I'll fix it. Also, chins have always made my elbows feel good, and I've largely addressed my squat grip error.

Not sure if the thread from Rip was to me or Nockian, but I doubt I have bursitis, and my doctor is definitely not the person to go to about lifting injuries. If things don't get better fast, I'll shop around.
    It was for me.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Bekah et all!

Just an update: my shoulder is doing much better now, so thanks for the instruction and support! Currently dying of some mild form of ebola, but once I sleep it off, I'll be back in the weight room with a vengeance. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Last edited by Dale Waters; 11-21-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Bekah deserved a shout out.