starting strength gym

Thread: Tarsal Coalition + FAI Squat Technique

Default Tarsal Coalition + FAI Squat Technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings gentlemen. Thank you for taking the time to read this. First things first:

35, 6’3, 205lbs
    Squat: 290
    Deadlift: 315
    Bench: 232.5
    Press: 160
    Powerclean: 165

After finishing my novice LP a few months ago, and then losing 20lbs of bodyfat from the 50+ I'd gained, I decided to see if I could eke out a bit more LP. It worked great. Unfortunately, on my second set at 280 last Monday, something in my right hip popped. I pushed through the week and finished this Monday at 290, but I'm clearly favoring the hip and it's got me worried.

20 years ago I had surgery for a tarsal coalition in my right ankle: two fused joints were opened up, some metal tucked in, and thus I can’t supinate (I think that’s the right term) my right foot. I can’t stand “on the side” of that foot. I’ve also got MRI-diagnosed cam-style FAI in my right hip. I assume these are related, and in the past, I was convinced I'd never be able to squat without painful grinding in my hip and lower back. Regardless, I once heard Mr. Matt Reynolds discuss squatting big weights, despite FAI, with a frog-style narrow stance, and sure enough, going narrower has allowed me to get my knees out and squat pain free.

Yesterday, on my Adv. Novice Light day, I filmed my second set at 235. Apologies for the quality. I brightened it as much as possible, but I'm a goon.

Youtube

I realize this isn't a heavy set, but I was nursing the hip something fierce, and figured that I might as well make sure I'm squatting light weight properly before I bother people with videos of me squatting my 5RM improperly. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Hello William-

Thanks for your post. And your detailed history.

I want to make sure I understand what information you are looking for....

Are you trying to find a stance that does not cause your hip pain? Or are you looking for a form check on this one? Did you experience hip pain with this set on your light day? Were you using a more traditional stance- (feet shoulder width apart- with a 30 degree toe angle) when you felt the "pop' in your hips?

Form wise: your stance is okay if you are needing to make a modification - as it still enables you to get depth quite easily and you are getting your knees out well. You do seem to be starting the squat by shifting your weight into your toes instead of starting at the top from mid-foot. Is this intentional? It is usually simplest to start the squat with the barbell and lifter in balance over mid-foot.

I would actually like to see your squat from the front 45 degree angle as well- to see your toe angle/knee position from this angle. But in general this squat seems functional for your purposes.

You seem to have enough supination in the right foot- despite your history of tarsal coalition to use this more "frog stance". You said you have FAI in the right hip only? Keep in mind- that not every diagnosis of FAI requires a frog stance squat. You definitely want to let your symptoms be your guide. One thing that I can see in your squat is a lot of movement in the lumbar spine. You actually set your back into hyperextension first at the top and then the backs moves into neutral and then back into hyperextension again. Believe it or not- keeping the back in hyperextension can often cause tendon irritation of the adductor and hip flexor both. I would also focus on maintaining a neutral spine to make sure that this isn't causing some of your hip pain symptoms.

I hope this information is helpful... but maybe I am not answering your question?

Please advise! And good luck.

Thank you for the detailed response, Bekah.

Quote Originally Posted by Bekah Cygan View Post
    Are you trying to find a stance that does not cause your hip pain? Or are you looking for a form check on this one? Did you experience hip pain with this set on your light day? Were you using a more traditional stance- (feet shoulder width apart- with a 30 degree toe angle) when you felt the "pop' in your hips?
    Looking for a form check, yes. Basically I just wanted to see if I'm getting to depth properly and doing anything that might exacerbate injury as the weights get heavier. I was experiencing hip pain on this set, though I wasn't experiencing it prior to that "pop" last week. I've been narrow-stance squatting all along, though occasionally I move my heels out to see how it feels. When I do use a more traditional stance, I get a bone-on-bone type feeling on the outside of my right hip, an intense stretching sensation in my adductors, and I can't get to depth without serious back rounding and consequent pain. The FAI is only on the right side, but I suspect I've got deep hip sockets. Either way, narrow stance + squat shoes + knees out seems to work fine. Yet having never seen a coach in person, and having now suffered my first little hip injury, I just want to make sure that what I'm doing is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bekah Cygan View Post
    You do seem to be starting the squat by shifting your weight into your toes instead of starting at the top from mid-foot. Is this intentional?

I would actually like to see your squat from the front 45 degree angle as well- to see your toe angle/knee position from this angle. But in general this squat seems functional for your purposes.

One thing that I can see in your squat is a lot of movement in the lumbar spine. You actually set your back into hyperextension first at the top and then the backs moves into neutral and then back into hyperextension again. Believe it or not- keeping the back in hyperextension can often cause tendon irritation of the adductor and hip flexor both. I would also focus on maintaining a neutral spine to make sure that this isn't causing some of your hip pain symptoms.
    The weight shift is not intentional, but I mess with bar placement constantly because of some nasty golfer's elbow, and I'm guessing it's an unconscious result of that. I'm going to take a stab at 295 today, and I'll film from the front 45 degree angle, while trying to avoid shifting my toes and setting my back in hyperextension. I didn't realize the latter was so bad. Thank you for pointing it out.

Here's my second set at 135kg/297.5lbs yesterday, taken from the front 45-degree angle.

YouTube

Amazing day, actually. After concentrating on not setting my back in hyperextension, the first set was probably the easiest, most stable set of squats I've had in six months. No hip pain whatsoever, and afterward, the pain that had been lingering for two weeks had disappeared completely. Miraculous.

This second set, however, got a little screwy on rep 4, then rep 5 was likely the most difficult rep I've ever had, and somewhere in there I tweaked my lower back on the right side. Oh well, no big deal. Third set was tough, but not as tough as this one.

My knees are all over the place it seems?

defer to coach(s) for actual coaching,
    but,
    one thing I think you should do is start with the J hooks a setting lower,
    you shouldn't need to jockey that bar back onto the stand as you do,
    lower it one setting.