starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Bar Squats

Default High Bar Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Does anyone have enough experience with high bar squats to be able to provide constructive feedback on my technique?

I received coaching on the lift about a week ago and will go back for more hopefully sooner than later. Unfortunately, I do not have reasonable access to in person starting strength coaching and therefore will not be performing the low bar squat until my reasonable to one improves.

Thank you,

Jon

They wouldn't pass in a competition, but they're definitely a good start.

The biggest issue is that you're getting too far forward. Take a look at the bar path, then take a look at what it's doing to your feet. Try to learn the feeling of being well-balanced, and pay attention to when it changes. After a bit of practice, you should start to feel when you're on your toes, and then you can start to correct it.

Also, they should be deeper, but that's probably not going to happen until you fix your balance.

Keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    They wouldn't pass in a competition, but they're definitely a good start.

The biggest issue is that you're getting too far forward. Take a look at the bar path, then take a look at what it's doing to your feet. Try to learn the feeling of being well-balanced, and pay attention to when it changes. After a bit of practice, you should start to feel when you're on your toes, and then you can start to correct it.

Also, they should be deeper, but that's probably not going to happen until you fix your balance.

Keep at it.
    Thank you. I did some mobility exercises thatI was taught last week before doing the squats. I know I was able to go deeper today than last session. I was wondering if it was my belly getting in the way of my depth.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdragonfly View Post
    I was wondering if it was my belly getting in the way of my depth.
    I can't tell from that angle, but it's not unheard of. You may have to widen your stance a bit to allow for that, but balance is still going to be your biggest issue until you learn to fix it. It doesn't have to be perfect, but if you can see air under your heels, that's an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I can't tell from that angle, but it's not unheard of. You may have to widen your stance a bit to allow for that, but balance is still going to be your biggest issue until you learn to fix it. It doesn't have to be perfect, but if you can see air under your heels, that's an issue.
    When I was coached last week, I think I had my feet closer together than I did on my own, maybe because I was squatting more on my own than with the coach and so I may have just defaulted to a wider stance. The coach told me I was going below parallel during our session. He had me doing sets of 10 of 60kg (132 lb). I had 205 in the this video. Wondering if I should correct my technique before adding weight. I might have to see if I can get a session tomorrow.

Booked session for tomorrow.

The coach told me I was going below parallel during our session.
    If he doesn't mind, I'd recommend taking video so you can compare.

He had me doing sets of 10 of 60kg (132 lb). I had 205 in the this video.
    Eh, dropping a little weight off the bar to allow you to concentrate on moving correctly is often a good idea if you're having issues there. But going that much lighter makes it hard for technique changes to transfer over to your working weights.

Wondering if I should correct my technique before adding weight.
    It helps, especially in terms of consistency. If you squat 180 to one depth, and then 200 to another, it's hard to know whether you're actually stronger or just not moving as far.

Here you go. My coach was having me do 3 reps of pause squats followed by 2 regular squats. Here, I did one more regular because it felt like I screwed up on one.

60kg

This was the 3rd set at this weight and I did a few more sets afterward but this was the only one recorded. After I watched this set, I tried putting the bar just a little bit higher. Here, it is right on the top shelf of the scapula I think.

Some things that I had to work on was getting the weight on my heels not my midfoot. I also had to work on hips back.

Just out of curiosity, the bar placement in this video is definitely too high for low bar?

Thank you.

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    The coach told me I was going below parallel during our session.
    Here you go.
    YouTube
    Those are about the same as the squats in your initial videos, so it looks like your coach is either being too polite and calling those below parallel, or he has a very different definition of parallel.

Some things that I had to work on was getting the weight on my heels not my midfoot.
    Well, yes and no. We use "weight on your heels" as a cue to correct the weight being too far forward, but we still want you to end up over the mid-foot.

I also had to work on hips back.
    That wouldn't be my preference for cues here, given that you're high-bar squatting. I'd rather you work on "chest up" which will make you be a bit more upright and keep the bar a little further back, helping you to stay off your toes.

Just out of curiosity, the bar placement in this video is definitely too high for low bar?
    Yes.

I'm not anti-high bar, but if you can get the bar in position for low-bar, I think you'd find it easier to take a bit wider stance, lean a little more forward, and not have your belly get in the way as much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast