starting strength gym

Thread: Inzer Belt Too Big?

Default Inzer Belt Too Big?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently started back on the LP program and just switch to using my 10mm leather Inzer belt for squats. The first thing I noticed is how much more stable and powerful my drive out of the bottom was compared to that crappy vinyl Atlas belt I was using.

But the belt feels really big almost like it gets in the way when I'm squatting. I'm 5'10" and about 220. I noticed that Inzer makes a belt with a lower-profile buckle for maybe this reason?

Has anyone else noticed this with large thick leather powerlifting belts?

Thx!!!

Is the belt width the problem or the buckle area? If the latter, just wear it with the buckle in the back.

Belt width is discussed in this article.

Hey Kevin. Did you take the time to do a little "breaking in" of the belt? I just bought an SBD 13mm belt and it chewed me to shreds on my first workout. I knew it needed to be broken in but I didn't have time before my next workout. To break mine in i started with it on the ground and folded the end of it over and used my body weight (I applied my knee to it) and "rolled" it back and forth a few times. Then role it over a little more and repeat all the way down the belt. Makes a HUGE difference. Just make sure to bend it in on itself the way it naturally should bend (as if it were wrapped around a pencil-thin waist).

I also find that I need to offset the buckle area because it overlaps and creates a 26mm thick bit of leather that can irritate my ribs if I wear it too high.