starting strength gym

Thread: Lumbar Extension Issue

Default Lumbar Extension Issue

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've had problems with extending my lumbar on the deadlift for a long time. Here are two videos of my recent mock meet for reference.

355:
    YouTube

365:
    YouTube

Some comments on what is happening:

I am aware of how to extend my lumbar, and I can do so successfully on squats. In fact, I can do so successfully on a stiff-legged deadlift oddly enough, but my conventional deadlift cannot. I can get it nearly neutral, but it is very difficult to keep in that position, and it leaves my lower back very fatigued even during warm ups. I activate my lumbar extensors as much as I can, but I feel nowhere near "locked" in extension like I do on a squat or a stiff-legged deadlift. Today I tried rack pulling and felt I could get my lumbar into extension much better, and it completely changed how the movement felt in comparison. Does anyone have any advice for things to try here? Any explanation for why I can do this successfully on a stiff-legged deadlift, but not a conventional deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevLee View Post
    I've had problems with extending my lumbar on the deadlift for a long time. Here are two videos of my recent mock meet for reference.

355:
    YouTube

365:
    YouTube

Some comments on what is happening:

I am aware of how to extend my lumbar, and I can do so successfully on squats. In fact, I can do so successfully on a stiff-legged deadlift oddly enough, but my conventional deadlift cannot. I can get it nearly neutral, but it is very difficult to keep in that position, and it leaves my lower back very fatigued even during warm ups. I activate my lumbar extensors as much as I can, but I feel nowhere near "locked" in extension like I do on a squat or a stiff-legged deadlift. Today I tried rack pulling and felt I could get my lumbar into extension much better, and it completely changed how the movement felt in comparison. Does anyone have any advice for things to try here? Any explanation for why I can do this successfully on a stiff-legged deadlift, but not a conventional deadlift?
    Hey Deyvn!

Any videos of you pulling something lighter for a set of five? Also, have you ever tried pulling in a 3" belt?

Although the back angle is more horizontal in a stiff legged deadlift, you're in less knee flexion AND hip flexion. Check out Figure 4-26 on page 123 of the book if you want to see this. Your belly, thighs, and belt are less crammed in the SLDL position. This is why I ask about the 3" belt. A lot of guys can't set their low backs well in a 4".

Hey, Caleb, thanks for the reply! I sure do:

YouTube

This was at the end of LP, as you can probably tell by watching it. It's embarrassing because of how badly my form broke down, but it shows exactly how I fail my heavier weights. My back rounds because I never truly feel "locked" in extension. I understand your thinking with the belt, but I really don't think this is the case. The video shown is w/o a belt and appears to me to show the same mistake. Also, I am 6'3" with a particularly long torso. I imagine if anyone could get away with a 4" belt, it would be me, and it seems to work fine.

Interesting you would say that about the SLDL. Doesn't less knee flexion make the hamstrings more tight rather than less, though? Or are you saying that isn't the limiting factor, rather that my belly crams against my thighs and that's why I can't properly extend? Appreciate the feedback.

Shit. 6'3"?!?! You've got a long ass torso for someone that tall. Agreed the belt shouldn't be the issue then. That was related to the SLDL theory too, so that's out the window.

Looks like we just need to get you working with a weight where you can 100% control it. Have you videoed your warm-up sets before?

I don't believe I have, no. But I can say that I never feel like I'm in good control of my lumbar spine. I only ever feel like I have the strength to keep it in a slightly rounded position and keep it form rounding further. This, of course, gets very tiring as the weight gets heavier, but I believe the failure to get into the correct starting position persists even during the warm-ups. I deadlift this Wednesday, so if that's your best guess and would like to see some warm-ups, I'd be happy to record a set or two. Do you think this could possibly be a mobility/hamstring issue? I was doubtful, but I'm not sure what kind of positioning would fix this.

Also, please specify what angle(s) would be preferred for the warm-up videos.

Yeah, I'd like to see the warm-ups. There should be a weight that you can control it at. We fix this in person with a lot of cueing. It's 100% NOT a mobility issue. Are you within driving distance of a coach?

Direct side and front 45 are fine.

Well, I managed to get a warm-up set recorded today. I apologize that I couldn't get your requested angles. I was alone today, so the only angle I could get was one I could manage on my makeshift ledge/plates tripod. Hope it can tell you something anyway. This was warm-up with 135.

YouTube

This shows us you can indeed set your low back flat. Though the set-up here is inconsistent across the set (you pushed the bar further forward by dropping your ass after rep 1). To fix this on your own, you'll have to video all your warm-ups and figure out at what point you can control it. This is somewhere between 135 and your current working sets. Once you find that point, you'll build things back up from there.

I would consider getting some coaching if you want to fix it as quickly as possible. Where in Iowa are you?

starting strength coach development program
    I have a SS coach named Nick Klemetson around an hour and 40 minutes from where I live. The issue isn't the distance, but rather the cost. I only work a part time job, as I'm in college, and I'm sure that Mr. Klemetson's fee would be around what I make biweekly, and I'm just not willing to put that kind of money into coaching in the financial state that I'm in now.

I am glad to hear that I can set my back properly. Since it's not an issue of mobility, rather one of weakness/laziness, I think I should be able to figure it out on my own, even if it takes a while.

I agree that my balance shifts forward throughout a set. I try to focus on pushing my hips back until the bar crosses my knees, then sort of "squatting" the rest of the way down, as I have read that should put the bar where it is supposed to be for the next rep. Clearly this hasn't been working for me, and short of completely restarting my deadlift from a standing position on every rep, I'm not sure what I could do to fix it. Would you recommend just doing the best I can to have better kinesthetic awareness of how my body is positioned on the first rep?

Thank you for your help, Caleb.