starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check w/Belt 11/3

Default Deadlift Form Check w/Belt 11/3

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    1x5 @ 205
    This my first real attempt with using a belt while deadlifting. I purchased a 3" belt and want to make sure I'm using it correctly. Here I adjusted the belt to the 6th notch as with the 5th one when i bent over the belt just slid right up.

Things I think are an issue please correct me if I am wrong.

1) My hips are a tad big to high when I setup here. I am going to place the bar 1 1/2" from my the initial setup. I have fixed this before but for some reason adding the belt kind of messed me up.

2) I feel like my back could have maintained tightness better on the way up. I think this is due to my hips being to high and not because of the belt

3) I cant tell if I am still having trouble pushing from the ground on the initial part of the lift. Peter has been giving me great tips on how to fix this.

One last thing to note I slightly widened my stance so my waist could fit with the belt.

YouTube

Hey Giancarlo

Your setup to the bar may be ok, but I can't see your shins. I can tell that your weight is on your toes just about every rep. Rock back to midfoot before you set the back, and your hips should be in the right place.

You are correct that you're pulling around your knees. Think about staying keeping your shoulders over the bar longer as you push the ground away with your feet. Or think about pulling the knees back as you start. Give those a try and see if that helps.

Good luck!