starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Post: Am I a P***y, a Snowflake, or Just Old?

Default First Post: Am I a P***y, a Snowflake, or Just Old?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Long post, sorry.

49 years old, 6’ 2”. Doing the program since March. I have the SS and PP books. I’ve listened to all the SS and BL podcasts. If I’ve missed something in there, again, sorry. I’ve been reading here a while and haven’t posted because I can usually find an answer just by keeping my mouth shut and reading/listening.

I’ve pushed myself through aches and pains and found that by not being a pussy and not thinking I’m a snowflake, those aches and pains almost always get fixed by DTFP (SI joint problems are long gone). But, sometimes it’s tough to tell if attempts to not be a pussy are actually just getting greedy and undermining my efforts.

My problem is that every few weeks I just get beat the hell up, particularly on squats, and can’t manage to hit depth and keep form even though I know I’ve still got more LP in me.

For example, this week I felt like I couldn’t squat at all at 240 even though I cruised easily through 235 on the prior workout.

I ate enough, I slept enough, but nothing worked right. Seemed like everything hurt for no good reason. I felt beat up and know that probably half my reps were just a bit high. Just trying to stay tight even before starting down was difficult.

I couldn’t keep the knees out and was afraid to hit the bottom. Just terrible. I was able to grind it out and finished all 3 sets x5 reps (sort of) but felt like shit doing it.

DTFP and my ego say charge ahead because I’m still a novice, but the chickenshit voice in my head says drop the weight, skip a day of squats, or take another week off because you’re old and hurt. So far, I’ve let my ego win most of the time.

I’m not an intermediate because it’s fatigue and pain (and possibly my head) that make me hit the wall, not running out of LP. But, if I keep backing off every now and then, that’s not really doing LP.

Is there a point at which an old guy can reasonably back off a bit during LP and still be considered to be DTFP or, as the title says, am I just being a pussy?

[Prepared for the inevitable 5 word answer]

Progress:

March 12:

183 lbs.

Squats (3x5): 95
    Deads (1x5): 155
    Bench (3x5): 135
    Press (3x5): 65

Now (after a couple breaks for vacation/injury):

216 lbs.

Squats (3x5): 240
    Deads (1x5): 315
    Bench (3x5): 250
    Press (3x5): 155

Are you still squatting and deadlifting heavy 3 days per week? At 49, it would probably behoove you to move on to the subsequent phases of LP sooner rather than later.

I am squatting 3 days per week, deadlifting on bench days, and rowing on press days.

You mention problems with the squat, but not the other lifts. If you can rule out The First Three Questions, the obvious place to look is your squat form. Get verified and post a video.

Thanks, Stef,

I’m fairly confident I can rule out the First 3 Questions.

Six-minute breaks seem to be the magic number for me. I have no problem trying more time but I was toast before the first set this time (and the last time it happened about 6 weeks ago).

Sleep is good and I’ve been increasing my food intake steadily since March to the point that I’m eating more than I have in 20 years and have been steadily gaining 1lb./week (is that enough?). I’m happy to try eating even more. Not worried about abs.

Increments are at 5 lbs. for everything (but I will have to start microloading presses next time). But, I think I would have had trouble at the previous workout’s weight.

Having done this all by myself I have no delusion that my squat form is perfect. I will look into getting verified.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Are you still squatting and deadlifting heavy 3 days per week? At 49, it would probably behoove you to move on to the subsequent phases of LP sooner rather than later.
    Off to search the forums and books to refresh my memory about “subsequent phases of LP”.

I am not a SSC, but a comment. I am a few years older than you so I relate. But you did not mention you have The Barbell Prescription. Highly recommended for us middle aged trainees. Buy it you won’t regret it, and it’s sort of mandatory to have on your bookshelf.

Way to work hard and give it what you have. The kids half our age make it look easy. There are no easy strength gains at our age!

As is usually the case, the answers are already out there.

I just reacquainted myself with the “Advanced Novice” chapter of PP. I guess it’s time to play around with back-off sets and light squat days.

I was hesitant to call myself “advanced” so I really wasn’t thinking about that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NoStepOnSnek View Post
    Off to search the forums and books to refresh my memory about “subsequent phases of LP”.
    It's in the sticky in the "Staff Coaches Q and A" section; the "keeping LP alive" post by Coach Wolf. It's great stuff.

Thanks for all the replies.

Changing the 2nd squat day to a light day has done the trick so far. After initially missing at 240, I’ve gotten my squat up to 255. I’ll be going for 260 tomorrow and feel pretty good about it.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm about a decade older than you so this may not apply to you, but switching to 2-days/week during LP has done the trick for me.

That extra day does wonder for recuperation and the ability to progress. I feel fresh and eager for the next workout—as opposed to feeling beat and dreading it.

It is possible, indeed probable, that the LP progress will be slower. But I am in no rush and I suspect that a more gradual LP has several advantages, including:

1) Less likelihood of burnout.

2) Less likelihood of injury (since you are fresh and more rested and thus able to keep good form to the last set/rep).

3) The psychological satisfaction of making progress with straight sets.

4) The aforementioned attitude of looking forward to the next workout vs dreading it because I am still recovering.

Another thing I am experimenting with, is splitting the program and reserving 2 days to squats only—as mentioned in The Barbell Prescription.
    The thinking is that on those two days, I can focus on the 5x3 sets of squats and take my time and use my energy for them without trying to save (consciously or unconsciously) some "juice" for the pressing movements and the deadlift.

So far, this seems to be working well because I finish each workout less exhausted and with more energy to be able take care of work and other life stuff.

Finishing a workout after completing your planned work sets and with some energy left in the tank may not translate to optimal progress, but I believe it will translate into more consistency.

Let us know what you end up doing and what works for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast