starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I知 a novice in the area of weight training. Attached are two videos of squat set 4 from a 45 degree and set 5 from the rear.
    I知 not sure if I知 using the proper technique as I feel my lumbar area is in pain and it undergoes lumbar flexion. That is I知 having difficulties maintaining a rigid spine.

Any advice would be much appreciated

YouTube

YouTube

Looks like you're unlocking your hips first and then going down. That might be the reason for the pain. Try unlocking both hips and knees at once. I'd also recommend wearing some shoes for better balance.

Welcome! You're off to a decent start with these!

I don't see much in the way of lumbar flexion going on here. Looks like you're doing quite a good job of keeping your spine rigid, but you could stand to puff your chest up a little more before you unrack the bar. You're definitely breaking at the hips first, in a very exaggerated, intentional looking way. Stop that! Break at the hips, knees, and bend over simultaneously.

You're having a little trouble keeping your knees out at the bottom of your squat. Try narrowing your stance just a bit and really focus on that knees out cue. Speaking of your knees, you have a fair bit of knee slide at the bottom. See how they shoot forward and you kind of rebound off of them? Think about sitting back more for that last bit of depth. Focus on rebounding off your hamstrings, not your knees. If you have trouble fixing it, look up the TUBOW and how to use it.

Why are these of sets 4 and 5? Smells like StrongLifts. By your own admission you're a novice, so why aren't you doing a Novice Linear Progression?

Dillion is on fire here. Listen to everything he's saying.

Also, where are your shoes my man? I hope they're in the mail

Thank you everyone for the input.

Thanks Dillon for the feedback and advice.

I will be implementing the tips.

Is there a complete thread for StrongLifts? I知 just trying to hammer down the form for squats and deadlifts....and doing/learning power cleans would take more time?

If you guys have any tips/advice or can point me in the right direction that be much appreciated. Thanks again.

No sweat man. Happy to help out as best I can. StrongLifts is a totally different program, although similar in that it's based around the big barbell lifts. If you're just starting out, you should run the tried and true SS Novice Linear Progression. Save the 5x5s for when you're an intermediate lifter. Do you have the book/s?

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    No sweat man. Happy to help out as best I can. StrongLifts is a totally different program, although similar in that it's based around the big barbell lifts. If you're just starting out, you should run the tried and true SS Novice Linear Progression. Save the 5x5s for when you're an intermediate lifter. Do you have the book/s?
    No I don稚. Would you recommend the hard copy or electronic version or the starting strength app?

starting strength coach development program
    Any of the above, immediately! I personally love having the hard copy. I've dog-eared and highlighted the shit out of it. Don't have any experience with the electronic versions or the app, but if I'm not mistaken the app includes an e-version of the book. I guess I'd recommend the hard copy, but I don't think you can really go wrong here. Having the book is better than not having it. Practical Programming for Strength Training is also essential reading, eventually. In the meantime, quit the StrongLifts and start an LP Starting Strength Training Programs