starting strength gym

Thread: First post! Am I rounding my lower back in the deadlift?

Default First post! Am I rounding my lower back in the deadlift?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi. My first post!! Can someone please take a look at this video and let me know if I am rounding my lower back (I think I am) and how I can fix it? I watched a video by Rip and he said to think about pointing your d*ick between your knees, so perhaps I will try that the next time.

Any other comments would be appreciated (like my neck position).

Thanks!!!

YouTube

Welcome!

You are letting your back round a little bit, but not as catastrophically as we sometimes see. You just need to squeeze your chest up harder without dropping your hips. The effort to do so should be more visible. It's not comfortable. If you enjoy slightly vulgar, body part based cues, think about pointing your asshole at the wall behind you and your nipples at the wall in front of you, and trying really, really hard to do so!

The bigger issue is that you're doing touch and go deadlifts. Let the weight settle on the floor between each rep, set your back again, take a new breath, then pull. Looks like you could lock them out a bit more convincingly at the top as well. Just focus on standing up a bit straighter at the top.

Hi Clyde-

I agree with Dillon about the touch and go deadlifts. Try to reset your back for each rep.

You are not really setting your lumbar spine. Do you know how to extend it? Some guys can't do this very well.

Here is a video about Step 4 of the deadlift by SSC CJ Gotcher. He explains the difference between setting your upper back and lower back. See if you can get your back arched up more like this...
    YouTube