starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Came back to lifting after about a 9 year hiatus since high school. Was trained in powerlifting, so the low bar squat has been new to me. I've been having pelvic tilt problems, but I think it's negligible in this video. Been at it for about a month now.

My ongoing worry is my grip width, and bar placement. I've been having to stretch my shoulders a lot before squatting, and my current grip is doing fingers on the ring of the knurling.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Kalanthropos View Post
    Came back to lifting after about a 9 year hiatus since high school. Was trained in powerlifting, so the low bar squat has been new to me. I've been having pelvic tilt problems, but I think it's negligible in this video. Been at it for about a month now.

My ongoing worry is my grip width, and bar placement. I've been having to stretch my shoulders a lot before squatting, and my current grip is doing fingers on the ring of the knurling.

YouTube
    Welcome back to the world of weightlifting! I also took a hiatus - albeit a bit longer than yours...

Assuming you are doing SSLP, you need to work on the low bar position (your video is high bar). I'm not one to give advice on how to get into that position for someone who struggles with it, but remember that it should be uncomfortable (but not painful). I agree that you need more forward lean, but that won't happen with the bar high.
    On another note, this weight looks easy for you - so you must have lots of gains ahead!
    Here's my log:
    Mid-30s Family Man Training Log

Welcome.

Sorry to say, this is still a highbar squat. Some resources below.

For your bar placement:

Hope this helps.

Once you've got the bar low enough, your back angle:

There's also a squat shoulder stretch video if you've not seen that:

I guess I just need to keep at it. I've been doing dislocators and that low bar position stretch, but it's been hell just to get as low as it is with as wide of a grip as in my video.

The stretch video says to stretch with thumbs on the 32 inch mark (my bar only has the 36, but I guess ring fingers on 36 is about the same as thumbs on the 32). Where I go from here, should I work on getting the bar deeper with a wide grip, then work on getting my bringing my hands in gradually? There's no way in hell I'm bringing my forearms to perpendicular anytime soon.

Yes. Get the bar down into the low bar position, then work on narrowing from there. If you're diligent about this it shouldn't take you too long to get stretched out.

Welcome back BTW! We're glad you're here.