starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm wearing black - sorry. I promise to wear gray next time.

Here are my last two sets - I swore I hit record the first time and apparently didn't.

2: YouTube

3: YouTube

I believe I have issues towards the end of my sets, but hell maybe even in the beginning too.

Knees track in a bit on the ascent, so try narrowing your stance a little bit, (2 -3 inches) and really scream "knees out!" to yourself as you approach the hole.

Upper back looks a but soft on the ascent too, so really cue the superman chest before each rep, and maintain it out of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing_paddler View Post
    Knees track in a bit on the ascent, so try narrowing your stance a little bit, (2 -3 inches) and really scream "knees out!" to yourself as you approach the hole.

Upper back looks a but soft on the ascent too, so really cue the superman chest before each rep, and maintain it out of the hole.
    Copy. The stance crossed my mind, glad you confirm.

With respect to my upper back - I've also wondered about it not being tight enough. I have substantially narrowed my grip to deal with tendinitis in my arms.
    It has helped, but I still pop ibuprofen before I work out until it fully heals. I feel the bar placement is good, and I can definitely feel the weight over the middle of my foot. So I'll tighten that crap up a little more. Thanks, paddler

For the upper back tightness, grip is important certainly, but I found that even after getting tight and unracking, I still had room for more "chest up!" tightening.

This might help: Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

I seem to recall a SS video with Nick Delgadillo about scapular retraction vs thoracic extension but I could not locate it. Maybe someone can help us out.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing_paddler View Post
    For the upper back tightness, grip is important certainly, but I found that even after getting tight and unracking, I still had room for more "chest up!" tightening.

This might help: Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

I seem to recall a SS video with Nick Delgadillo about scapular retraction vs thoracic extension but I could not locate it. Maybe someone can help us out.
    Thanks for this. Will give it a shot. I'm finally at a gym where I can get in, do my work, and film my shit. Can't wait to try on Wednesday.

Hey Tyler!

Paddler has you off to a good start here.

You sure you're getting the bar underneath the spine of your scapula? It looks a little high from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    Hey Tyler!

Paddler has you off to a good start here.

You sure you're getting the bar underneath the spine of your scapula? It looks a little high from here...
    Yes. And if I weren’t sure there’s a borderline bruisemark across my back that’s a good indicator of placement.

Here are three new sets. I narrowed my stance, tried my best focus on the chest thing (it seemed to help), and am always thinking about knees. I have a knocked knees so I have to really focus on that.

Set one: YouTube

Set two: YouTube

Set three: YouTube

Yeah, I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I missed that bar placement the first time around and it still looks high. Just to be sure, let's see a set from directly behind that shows your set-up. The good news is that tying to bend over with a bar on your traps would also help explain some of the thoracic flexion, so we may be able to clear that up with the low-bar placement. Keep on working!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Theimer View Post
    Yeah, I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I missed that bar placement the first time around and it still looks high. Just to be sure, let's see a set from directly behind that shows your set-up. The good news is that tying to bend over with a bar on your traps would also help explain some of the thoracic flexion, so we may be able to clear that up with the low-bar placement. Keep on working!
    I will concede it looks high and am sure it is probably the camera angle. But to be sure I will see if I can remedy this for next time.

Thanks!