starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee pain on squat warmup sets

Default Knee pain on squat warmup sets

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I知 57. I have been having knee pain lately during my squat warmup sets- all the way up to 225. After that, the pain disappears. I知 currently at 260 volume and 285 intensity. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Not since using knee sleeves and sweat pants, but before that, yeah. Is it cold where you work out?

Very neutral temp.

Yes! That you're not experiencing pain until you have some weight on your shoulders suggests that you're not TIGHT when warming up. When the weight hits 225, THEN you're tight. And by TIGHT, I mean EVERYTHING, especially your quads. Next warm up, flex your abs, flex your lower back, flex your glutes, and flex your quads from knee to hip. Flex. No shit. Flex hard!

There is a nugget somewhere in SS:BBT3 that says, paraphrasing, if you're not tight, then joints can get jammed into positions they should not occupy.

This was my experience.

You'd need to specify *where* on the knee you experience pain. I'm able to fix a lot of knee pain by treating trigger points in my quads. I use a small dumbbell to really dig into the muscle above and around the knee.

I値l give it a try. Thanks. Not sure how to get tight on body weight squat stretch.

Deep in the joint. It happens climbing stairs now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Not since using knee sleeves and sweat pants, but before that, yeah. Is it cold where you work out?
    I second the knee sleeves. Doc Sully got me wearing those and they do help. Do you know if you have any form of arthritis and if so what kind?

Quote Originally Posted by griswilliam View Post
    I’ll give it a try. Thanks. Not sure how to get tight on body weight squat stretch.
    Assume the position, either empty bar or no bar; flex your quads, then descend into a squat while maintaining the flex in your quads. Think...isometric exercise, sorta.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by griswilliam View Post
    I’m 57. I have been having knee pain lately during my squat warmup sets- all the way up to 225. After that, the pain disappears. I’m currently at 260 volume and 285 intensity. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Very classic, hallmark osteoarthritic pain pattern....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast