starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check

Default Squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Started the program again after a while; I finally got to bring a phone to the gym after a month. Appreciating feedback on my form.

This is the first time I ever see myself squatting, am I even doing low bar squats? Am I rounding my back on the deadlift?

Many thanks!

Welcome!

To answer your questions, no and yes.

The bar is a mile high of low bar position. Review the squat chapter and find any of the several videos on YouTube about where the bar should be and how to get it there. Until you're actually in the realm of a low bar squat there isn't much else to be said, besides look at the floor a few feet in front of you, not the mirror. Never, ever the mirror.

On the deadlift, the bar is definitely forward of midfoot (set up just 1" away) and it doesn't look like you're even trying to set your back as per step 4.

You've got some homework to do my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Welcome!

To answer your questions, no and yes.

The bar is a mile high of low bar position. Review the squat chapter and find any of the several videos on YouTube about where the bar should be and how to get it there. Until you're actually in the realm of a low bar squat there isn't much else to be said, besides look at the floor a few feet in front of you, not the mirror. Never, ever the mirror.

On the deadlift, the bar is definitely forward of midfoot (set up just 1" away) and it doesn't look like you're even trying to set your back as per step 4.

You've got some homework to do my friend!

Thanks, I had figured I was doing things wrong after seeing the videos, but it's good to get that confirmed.

Will do my homework. It's actually been years since I've had my hands on the book.

If anyone sees anything else wrong with my high bar squat please let me know!

OK so I am now trying to do low bar squats, do I have the bar position right? Any feedback on form? Many thanks

I still need to keep my head down obviously

Stand up all the way.

Shove knees out so they track in line with your feet.

Look down (pick one of the diamonds in the second or third row from the bottom on the diamond plate and stare at it).

Bend over more, and earlier.

Work on straightening your wrists while keeping the bar in that position on your back. It looks okay from here, but wrists are ideally neutral, not extended, not flexed.

Keep on working!

Bar looks better, but the grip still needs work. Like Stefan said, you want your wrists neutral, not extended. This may mean that the bar isn't as "in your fingers" as you currently have it, but that's okay. For myself, it's more the heel of my hand and the first pads of my fingers in contact with the bar. This is okay, because you want to be supporting the bar on your back, not in your hands. Which brings us to your upper back. Puff your chest up before you unrack the bar. You want it supported on the shelf of your rear delts, not a rounded upper back. I like this video a lot for demonstrating the difference:

Wow thank you so much both of you! I'm glad I got over the fear of posting videos...

I'll post the deadlift setup video here for my (and everyone's) reference:

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Lunk!

Dillion is on the ball here as normal.

Are you also making sure to eat like a mad man? Nothing will help your squat more in the long run quite like gaining some solid bodyweight will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast