starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder pain

Default Shoulder pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So i'm sure this has been posted before, and if it has, please just direct me to a similar thread. I am 25 years old, and about 265 lbs, and 6'7" (i'm tall, with some gut in the middle, and noodle arms). I have tried the starting strength program twice before, and have experienced shoulder and elbow pain. I would do the program, and at about 200 lbs for squat (135 lbs for bench, and 100 lbs for press) my elbow and shoulder would really hurt. It started with right shoulder pain, and then after I would squat and move to bench, my elbow would feel like it was on fire (for about an hour after immediately stopping). I would stop the program, and work on some shoulder rehab, and then come back to the program a few months later. finally I went to the doctor, and got an xray (which they said that there was nothing wrong), and was referred to physical therapy. I went to the physical therapist and the doctor said I had weak "shoulder stabilizers", and after three sessions, the doctor prescribed me a 12-15 exercises for about 2-3 sets of 10 reps 2-3 times a week. Now I don't think anybody has that much time in the gym, and I tried the exercises only to get burnt out (and didn't have that kind of time). My shoulder felt better after leaving it alone, but if I try to stretch every now and then, overhead flexion causes pain in my right middle deltoid. I really like your program, its a no bullshit approach to strength, without wasting my time in the gym like other programs. I will admit I am pretty weak, and I want to get stronger. Is there some sort of rehab protocol I should follow? Or something I missed telling my doctor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

So hurts on squats, and only after squats on pressing movements?

Elbows too high, grip too wide. Check the YT channel for videos and website for articles. This has been covered over and over. Post a video if you can, but those are probably your biggest form issues.

I would do the order of the starting strength program, so i would squat, press (bench), and deadlift. it hurt when i squat, pressed, and bench. I haven't done squats in almost a year, and i haven't really pressed or benched in about 8 months, but every now and then i raise my right arm overhead to see if my shoulder still hurts...and it very much does. I do believe i could tweak my squat form, which i intend to. I'm just hoping you guys might have a different approach, because my PT was an idiot with the prescribed exercises.

If your shoulder hurts just from raising your arm overhead unloaded, you may have problems that are above my paygrade as a free bro coach. Depending on the pain, you may want to get something like an MRI instead of "PT exercises". For sure the press will help, but maybe not as you are in your current state. Like I say, I don't really know.

I hope someone like Coach Dr. Badass Morris reads this thread and decides to chime in. One can only hope. Well, that and just contact him directly, possibly through SSOC or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Nichols View Post
    I haven't done squats in almost a year, and i haven't really pressed or benched in about 8 months, but every now and then i raise my right arm overhead to see if my shoulder still hurts...and it very much does.
    This is interesting, but I think this is a powerful statement for others on this board. Let's just assume there was a structural or anatomic origin for your initial shoulder pain. In 8 months to a year, would we have expected there to be an improvement in your pain if this was simply a "healing process" that needed to occur?

I wouldn't assume so. After follow up with my PT, i tried to tell my PCP that it still hurt, and she told me to just avoid any heavy overhead lifting. I avoided it because i haven't gotten a real solid answer from either doctor (i have very little faith in my doctors to be honest). Obviously it hasn't helped, and i just got onto this website yesterday. I've been meaning to ask you guys. Anyways, i'm thinking of starting the program again and start with a training bar (15 lbs), because my shoulders really are that weak. But the little pinch/knot in my shoulder has me worried that i'll just have to start over again. I've also done the stronglifts 5x5 program before, so really i've ran into the problem about three times.

So, if we both concur that this is not, by the little information provided, a healing process that needs to occur, now we have to come up with a plan to get you back on the road to training.

If pain is present with training, and it is present when not training, what is the logical conclusion we have to draw here?

That i need to go back to the gym? lol.

I think you are onto something there. 1) it hurts when you do nothing 2) it hurts when you train. If it is going to hurt no matter what, I'd prefer to get the benefits of training, even diminished benefits due to reduced capacity rather than go through the virtually certain degenerative process of life by being sedentary.

On top of this, I'd say you would probably benefit heavily from a good coach.

starting strength coach development program
    Cody, where do you live? Are there any SS coaches near you? A number, if not most of the SS coaches around my location happen to be PTs. Maybe you can get lucky and find a SSC/PT combo near you that could put on on a training prescription to get your shoulder better.

Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast