starting strength gym

Thread: Check Out Me LBBS :)

Default Check Out Me LBBS :)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I figured that if I could attend 10+ minutes before every workout doing mobility for oly lifts, I could spend 10+ minutes doing mobility work to help me achieve a better LBBS. What do you think?

175 set 2: YouTube

Set 3: YouTube

Thanks,

Jon

PS, I have found that a thumbs around grip is easier on my wrists.

Howdy Jon!

Curious as to what mobility work you are doing for your squats? We rarely find this is necessary outside of stretching the shoulders to get the bar into the correct position.

Both the eye gaze and "chest lifting" here make these more closely resemble a high bar squat. These are super common habits that you're going to have to beat out of yourself.

Look down at the ground 4ft in front of you, think about shoving your belly straight down between your thighs, and drive up from your sacrum instead of lifting your chest.

I just spent time working at getting under the bar and holding that position for 10-30 seconds at a time. Started with a wider grip and brought it in as I loosened up.

I also spent time in the bottom position of a body weight squat, pressing my elbows into my knees to make sure I was getting a good stretch over the knees.

(Alternated the two stretches)

------

I noticed the eye gaze when reviewing the video again last night. When you say "chest lifting", do you mean that I'm removing my hip hinge too early? I was thinking that too.

------

These are the most parallel squats I've done. I realize it is hard to see my hip crease in either video but I've watched myself enough to see that these were a definite improvement.

Roger on the stretching. Glad to hear you're not doing a bunch of crazy shit there

Quote Originally Posted by bigdragonfly View Post
    When you say "chest lifting", do you mean that I'm removing my hip hinge too early? I was thinking that too.
    Yeah. You need to lean over and stay that way as you drive your hips up.