starting strength gym

Thread: Losing bar path on Bench Press

Default Losing bar path on Bench Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Was able to complete 3 sets of 5 this morning for 232.5 lbs. , however I lost the bar path more than once , and my last rep on third set was a real grind. Being the bar has been wavering often as the weight is becoming more difficult, should I reset or continue going forward? I touch right below my nipples with the bar, but on the ascent the bar has drifted low, and gets straightened out at the top. Not sure if I painted the visual the way I wanted, but if anyone gets what I mean, and can offer up some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I don’t compete , but I have a goal of a three plate bench press.

I used to have this kind of problem as well. It stopped since I started pausing my reps and staying tighter. Post a video of your bench.

My approach almost always is to go a little lighter and do the reps slow speed, focus on the points exactly you need to, like staying tight and keeping the Bar path as vertical. I drill myself a lot during my warm up sets. This ensures that I am not doing any extra Lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by raj gurung View Post
    staying tight and keeping the Bar path as vertical.
    Bench press bar path is not vertical.

Where are your eyes during the movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Where are your eyes during the movement?

I lift in my garage, I always focus on the spot on the ceiling i want the bar to reach repetitively. I think the bar coming of my chest is a weakness in my bench, as thats where it gets a little out of the groove. I widened my grip a bit and this has helped a good amount, as i do have long arms for my size. I think in the end its just a mixture of the weight getting up there for me, and concentrating on staying in the path even if it means i miss the rep.

Quote Originally Posted by eavdr10 View Post
    Was able to complete 3 sets of 5 this morning for 232.5 lbs. , however I lost the bar path more than once , and my last rep on third set was a real grind. Being the bar has been wavering often as the weight is becoming more difficult, should I reset or continue going forward? I touch right below my nipples with the bar, but on the ascent the bar has drifted low, and gets straightened out at the top. Not sure if I painted the visual the way I wanted, but if anyone gets what I mean, and can offer up some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I don’t compete , but I have a goal of a three plate bench press.
    I would set your gaze on a spot on the ceiling and keep it there. When I bench, I think about pressing the bar back towards my face on the way up. When the reps are easy, it doesn't really matter, but with near limit lifts or reps to near failure, I have the same problem with the bar looping out a little towards my legs in those situations. So get set correctly, shoulders tucked, and really drive with your legs while pushing towards your face. It seems extreme, but these cues will help you maintain a normal bar path.

starting strength coach development program
    If the bar is sliding down toward your feet, so are your elbows. Keep your elbows up.