starting strength gym

Thread: Post rib break start

Default Post rib break start

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    I’m restarting Lp after a rib injury 13 days ago. Broke two ribs and associated cartilage and some muscle injury. Still sore on really deep breathes and in some positions. The break is right where my weight belt would sit. Just Wearing it is decently painful.

Looking for some guidance on what to restart my lifts at so I don’t waste too much time dropping too much.

My lifts at the time of the break were

Squat - 285x5
    Press- 120x5
    Bench- 205x5
    Deadlift 310x5

I appreciate the help.

I just boogered up some of my right side ribs on Wednesday, nothing broken, but I landed hard when the rear wheel on my Harley decided to go horizontal in loose chip gravel. I experimented with some warm up sets this morning, and ribs said "Nuh-uh!"

I'd recommend you don't set an artificial re-start weight. Start with an empty bar and load as for warming up. Or less, if you are feeling it too much. When you get to a threshold in this process where it gets too uncomfortable, make that your re-start weight. Or maybe a little less as you heal.

Thanks Mark. That’s sound advice. I was just running a decently clean lp program and am frustrated to have to go take such a step back.

Thanks for the reply.

I popped something, maybe some cartilage, in my rib cage on the very first working set of my first squat workout of my first training session ever by exaggerating thoracic extension. Hurt to breathe for about a week but was able to get back on the horse right after. It was a process just like Mark described. Cautious and plentiful warm-up paired with conservative loading while keeping in mind it'll heal.