starting strength gym

Thread: Adapting Rogue Squat Rack to Perform Back Extensions

Default Adapting Rogue Squat Rack to Perform Back Extensions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Folks,

I'd like to incorporate back extensions and am looking for a way to use my Rogue SML-1 70" squat rack to do them. I have the SML-1 with the SAML 24" Support Arms and requisite j-cups. I have a few ideas, but curious what folks here would recommend as safe and effective ways (without permanently modifying the equipment - I still want to use it, of course, for squats, press, bench, etc.

Thanks,
    Ben

I set a barbell even, or close, to the height of a 30" plywood box, then load 45s on the barbell to use as ankle support. I position the box so it hits the right area at my hips then tuck my ankles under the bar and lay my hips across the box. I usually put a beach towel over the box top for a little cushion. Not perfect and I can't bend to 90 degrees, but it works.

Replace the box with an exercise ball and then lower the barbell in the hooks. That will put your body at about a 30 degree angle and also gain you 30 degrees more of range of motion. The exercise ball is to keep the edge of the box from digging into your hips. Padding might work but the round surface is the easy way.

I've gone so far as to put a bench on top of boxes, then hook my feet under a loaded bar. This allows ROM level to 90°S.

In fact, making a bar "stationary" on any given hook in a rack is useful - for many things!