starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Ceiling Standing Press Solution?

Default Low Ceiling Standing Press Solution?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I lift in my basement.

When I stand and lift the bar all the way up, the empty bar is about a 1/4 inch from the beam.

I've searched but cannot find a location in the basement where there is enough space for weights to clear.

I'm wondering if I get two lengths of heavy chain - a couple of locks or maybe pair of carabiners.

I could slip the chains on the bar - as if they were weights.

I would add weight by unlocking the chain and putting it through the weight(s)

Has anyone tried something like this or maybe a better solution.

Thanks,

Rick

Or do presses seated on a bench.

Go outside and press.

There's a discussion in Training section Short Basement Ceiling Height - Dig Hole in Concrete?.

Isn't the standing press the preferred option? (At 54, I'm not sure it will make that much difference.)

If sitting isn't that much different - I will simply sit.

(Too cold to go outside - along with being somewhat tricky due to basement layout)

Thanks

Rick

I think your suggested solution might be an acceptable solution. The only drawback might be the weight will feel sloppy. You create pendulums hanging the weight from short chains. You probably have to do the Press 1.0 rather than trying the Press 2.0.

Try it and see if you like it. If not, you are only out the price of two short chains and two locks. You could use the chains for micro-loading.

Good Luck with your plan.

The "yoke" bars drop the height of the weights a little bit. Don't know if it's enough. Maybe only use 25lb or smaller plates? Im also not sure if the prongs/handles will stab you to death or if you can cut them off. I've seen yoke style and bent bars without the handles but they are pretty rare. You might be able to find one with enough drop but your 1/4 inch of clearance isn't much.

In any case pressing is important, and would say that joining a gym may be warranted. However, i understand the tradeoffs. I happen to prefer lifting in the chaos and insanity of commercial gyms.

Quote Originally Posted by stlrick View Post
    I lift in my basement.

When I stand and lift the bar all the way up, the empty bar is about a 1/4 inch from the beam.

I've searched but cannot find a location in the basement where there is enough space for weights to clear.

I'm wondering if I get two lengths of heavy chain - a couple of locks or maybe pair of carabiners.

I could slip the chains on the bar - as if they were weights.

I would add weight by unlocking the chain and putting it through the weight(s)

Has anyone tried something like this or maybe a better solution.

Thanks,

Rick
    Rick- you mentioned a beam being the limiting height factor. Is there any possibility of altering the basement floor or ceiling to increase working height in an area large enough to press? If so a picture might help for everyone to brainstorm some options. Just to be creative another option would be to find some cheap plates on craigslist. Cut the plates down on one side so they are flush with the collar (think half moon shaped plates). This would allow you to maintain your 1/4" of clearance. I can't imagine these swinging around too much in a press movement but I've been wrong before.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My house was built in the 20's and has radiator heat so I have a mix of pipes and electrical in the basement. I took my bar around to see if I could fit anywhere with no luck.

I did a search for yoke and lifting equipment. Found a place that does yoke straps which appear to be exactly what I would need - looked nice but about $70.

With a little more internet searching, I found someone who used car towing ropes for this purpose. Probably easier than my chain/lock solution.

Rick

PS: I cannot imagine going to a gym - my downstairs is hardly elegant but so convenient.

starting strength coach development program
    Put the plates in bags and hang the bags from the bar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast