starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad Lifts

Default Dad Lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Demographics: Male, currently 32 years old, office worker, family man. 6'0", currently ~215 at ~22% bodyfat, 37" waist. At my heaviest before getting into any kind of fitness (see below), I was 230 and ~30%, 42-44" waist. The exercise and intermittent fasting got me just below 200 and ~18% body fat. I was a skinny/lanky kid and teen, got soft and doughy after college continuing to eat like a teen but with an office job (not a good combo), and the routine stresses of life with a young and growing family.

Athletic Background: No serious youth athletics: city league soccer in late elementary, basketball in middle school, baseball late elementary through middle school. Rowing for one year in college (my leanest and most in-shape). Nothing after that.

In summer 2016, decided to make a change (I was approaching 30 and not liking what I saw and felt). I chose the kettlebell. It served its purpose well - it brought me up to a general baseline of athleticism: strength, stability, mobility, power, and strength endurance. I was able to "stick with it", something I hadn't ever been successful with. I started with the Simple & Sinister program (swings and get-ups) and achieved the Simple standard after about 9 months, starting with 16kg and finishing with 100 32kg one-arm swings in 5:00 and 5 32kg get-ups (per side) in 10:00. Next was the Rite of Passage, which is one-arm press ladders of variable volume with a fixed weight. In another 9 months or so I went from 16kg well into ladders with 24kg, before switching to an experimental snatch protocol from one of the StrongFirst instructors. I did that for the last 3 months, starting with 28kg and ending with many sets (of 5, done explosively and with long rest periods of 0:45-1:15) with 32kg.

I got a barbell and plates in the summer of 2017 and started deadlifting. I worked up to 300 x 2 and most recently 290 x 5:

I am getting a squat stand very soon. In the meantime, I recently practiced the squat (just the bar) as best I could without a rack:

Next time I will use shoes, use a wider stance, and get a better/tighter setup (with the rack). I'm used to a much more vertical back angle with kettlebell goblet and front squats, I have to get used to "butt back" instead of "sit on a curb behind you".

Goals: Get strong for life/health. No plans to compete or do anything spectacular, just want to be "stronger and harder to kill" and set a good example for my three boys.

From Here: So I have no squat, bench, or overhead press experience (but plenty of time under the kettlebell with the one-arm press and get-up); my deadlift is more advanced.

I will post my work-up sets with squat, bench, and press to hopefully get feedback on the proper starting weight. I have been advised to drop my deadlift starting weight to ~225 and work back up through Phase I to allow my squat to catch up. Fine by me, it's only 3-4 weeks.

SSNLP Day 1 (12/24/18):

Squat: Worked up to 125 x 5, but it was sloppy. Went back to 115 x 5 for 2 more sets. Will repeat 115 today at proper depth.

Things to work on:
    * Grip width, might be too narrow for current mobility level.
    * Thumbs over bar. Necessary for the wrists to remain straight/not extended.
    * Butt back! Losing balance (falling backwards) near the bottom, so I stop before full depth. Butt farther back will keep the balance on the mid-foot. What feels like excessive forward lean looks not that horizontal, so I have to get used to that. I'm so used to a more vertical angle from kettlebell goblet and front squats.
    * Bigger breath
    * Elbows too far back? Should they be more in line with the back angle (and maintain the angle throughout the movement)?

Press: Worked up to 75 x 5 x 3.

Things to work on:
    * Even slightly narrower grip (no moment arm horizontally between wrist and shoulder). First set (empty bar) was much too wide.
    * Weight on the meat of the palm. Some wrist extension (like a punch), but not as much as seen here.
    * Overall tightness, was getting wobbly there at the end of the later sets.

Deadlift: Just 255 x 5, will build it back up this month as I focus on the squat and press/bench.

Nice job so far! Do you have lifting shoes? If not, I recommend getting a pair ASAP. They'll help to get you in the right position on the squat. I'm no coach, but I think you could actually move your hands in narrower on the squat, and as you said keep your thumbs on top with wrist neutral. I have similar proportions as you, and my pinkies are just inside the marks on the knurling when I squat. And on the press, my index fingers are right on the inside edges of the knurling so my forearms are vertical.

If you have access to a Starting Strength coach, definitely go see one. It's worth it to save a lot of aggravation down the road. I'll vouch for SSOC as well. It has really helped me a lot in just a few weeks after fumbling through LP for several months.

At a minimum you can get verified and post videos to the SS Coach Q&A page.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barry View Post
    Nice job so far! Do you have lifting shoes? If not, I recommend getting a pair ASAP. They'll help to get you in the right position on the squat. I'm no coach, but I think you could actually move your hands in narrower on the squat, and as you said keep your thumbs on top with wrist neutral. I have similar proportions as you, and my pinkies are just inside the marks on the knurling when I squat. And on the press, my index fingers are right on the inside edges of the knurling so my forearms are vertical.

If you have access to a Starting Strength coach, definitely go see one. It's worth it to save a lot of aggravation down the road. I'll vouch for SSOC as well. It has really helped me a lot in just a few weeks after fumbling through LP for several months.

At a minimum you can get verified and post videos to the SS Coach Q&A page.

Good luck!
    Mike,

Thank you for the feedback! I'll use those hand positions next time.

Looks like you are also in Michigan? I am in the Grand Rapids area.

I actually have my eye on the Squat Camp on February 2 in Farmington Hills. Need to check with my CEO (wife) on the date, hope to make it work.

I trained kettlebells (and deadlifts) barefoot, but did these squats and presses in Chuck Taylors. Are those neutral, detrimental, or beneficial for squatting? (I still go barefoot for deadlift) For squat shoes, what do you recommend? What's a quality "budget" option?

Programming question: The SS app suggested I start power cleans because my DL is already over bodyweight. Is there any reason not to start rotating deadlift and power clean right away? I will probably have to start doing it anyway within the next 2-3 weeks.

I'm in the Detroit area, Berkley to be precise. I did a one on one session with Sully at Greysteel early this year, and a pulling camp with Sully and Chris Kurisko in the spring. These are amazing opportunities for hands on coaching with the most knowledgeable people in the field, so I definitely recommend the Squat Camp if you can make it. I think Coach Kurisko moved to a new gym since I went to that camp, but he's in the Lansing area and you may be able to schedule a one on one with him as well.

For shoes, the raised heel really helps to get in the bottom position of the squat. I know the precise reasons are discussed in the book. I was wearing zero drop Merrill trail shoes when I started, but felt a noticeable difference when I went to a proper lifting shoe. I wear Adidas Powerlift shoes. They seem to be pretty common and $100 or less. A forum search may yield some more options.

Your question about cleans is a good one for a coach. I would say since your deadlift is so far ahead of your other lifts it probably makes sense to go ahead and mix in cleans.

SSNLP Day 2

Squat: Repeat of 115 x 5 x 3. Better depth. Got a better grip width. Thumbs over the bar help me get an even tighter connection. Squat shoes coming (Adidas Powerlift 3, good?), should help depth even more.

Bench: Worked up to 105 x 5 x 3. Will find a solution for the clip height. Right now it’s either too low or too high. I think a flat bolt may do the trick. Squat is so weak by comparison...

Power Clean: First attempts. Empty bar for a few sets, then 65, then 95 x 3 x 5. It didn’t feel like I got my elbows far enough forward, but it looks like I was pretty close. My forearms are long, and while that's a disadvantage for the sport of Olympic lifting (full clean), anyone should be able to do the power clean so I'll find a way. I'll try heavier front rack holds as prep next time. Didn't have consistent grip width, it needs to be wide enough that the bar is just below the hip bone (?); if so, that is basically snatch grip for me...

And maybe a narrower stance but knees out (diamond shape) because of my long legs, for the pulls from the floor.

Also notice on slow-mo that I don't always launch from the hips (arm pull instead, again probably due to too narrow of a grip for my long forearms), and I catch it leaned back - I think if I meet the bar in-air it would be better.

I think the one at 3:32 is the best of the bunch, although if you pause at 3:35 I have my arms bent at the hip drive...

But, I’m going to keep these in for Workout B because my deadlift is so far ahead of squat.

Signed up for Squat Training Camp on 2/2 in Farmington Hills, MI with Dr. Sullivan and Chris Kurisko!

I went to the same camp in Lansing in October. Good experience.

East Lansing Squat Camp

Adidas Powerlift 3.0 are good if you've got narrow feet, as I do. I like mine. They are a starter shoe. Now that my pulls are above 400lbs my coach is saying I need a new, entirely non-compressible shoe such as a Nike Romaleo. But I didn't notice any compression in the Powerlift 3.0 until I got considerably above 400lbs for reps, so you've got time.

Regarding which, consider deadlifting in them, too, not just squatting. Later in your lifting life, your second pair of shoes should be some deadlifting flats. But barefoot deadlifting is way too paleo, or something.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Geoff! I think I'll go with Powerlift 3.0 for now.

I'll try deadlifting in them to compare to barefoot (what I'm used to up to this point).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast