starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift platform - width and thickness options for portability

Question Deadlift platform - width and thickness options for portability

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

Like many of you, I am a basement lifter and may need to move my DL platform out of the way to save space. After watching several videos, a "modular" design seems advantageous. To keep the weight down, I had some additional questions for you:

1. Those that are using a "modular" design (two 2x4 pieces and a 4x4 center piece), are there any problems with this approach?
    2. On the sides, some people use 1 layer of plywood and 1 layer of rubber. Others use 2 layers of plywood and 1 layer of rubber. Is there a real functional concrete floor saving difference between the two?
    3. Almost all platforms that I have seen are 4x8 feet wide. While this is convenient as plywood sheets come 4x8, would I regret going to 3x8 to keep the weight of the platform down for portability?

Thoughts?

-Josh

Just an update, went with the modular approach with one layer of plywood and a rubber mat from tractor supply.

My only complaint is that the mat seems to smell pretty strong. I hope that dissipates in the next couple of weeks.