starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder pain - Supraspinatus Tendoosis & Subcoracoid Bursitis

Default Shoulder pain - Supraspinatus Tendoosis & Subcoracoid Bursitis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all, i had been experiencing shoulder pain (ranging from minimal -only during exercise to moderate throughout the day) since last 2-3 months, i went to physio who suspected RC impingement and told me to stop doing all overhead stuff and focused on external rotations with the band...anyways i didn't listen to him and began overhead pressing with light weights 15 - 20 reps consciously shrugging and gradually increased the weight over the course of 2 weeks which healed the problem temporarily.

then i started flat benching i got shoulder pain again on front of shoulder and sometimes side of shoulder..so i stopped doing that and focused on only OHP again...but this time it didn't subside...reducing the weight didn't help either, even pullups cause pain now not much during the exercise but as soon i drop down from the bar... though only scapular depression while hanging on the bar relieves the pain a little.

im unable to do any pushing exercise and vertical pulling without pain, dumbell and band rows are ok most of the times...squat and deadlift are fine too...sometimes combing my hair also causes pain

the physio told be to get an MRI which revealed this

-mild Capsular hypertrophic changes seen at acromioclavicular joint with joint effusion, downsloping of acromion and curved undersurface (type II morphology), reduced acromiohumeral distance

- intrasubstance hyperintensities at supraspinatus muscle tendon suggestive of tendonosis, subcoracoid bursitis is seen.

in my present situation what exercises should i add and focus on and which ones to drop? PT has again told me to drop OHP and this time doing it is hurting so i'm clueless now on what to do

Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Hi all, i had been experiencing shoulder pain (ranging from minimal -only during exercise to moderate throughout the day) since last 2-3 months, i went to physio who suspected RC impingement and told me to stop doing all overhead stuff and focused on external rotations with the band...anyways i didn't listen to him and began overhead pressing with light weights 15 - 20 reps consciously shrugging and gradually increased the weight over the course of 2 weeks which healed the problem temporarily.

then i started flat benching i got shoulder pain again on front of shoulder and sometimes side of shoulder..so i stopped doing that and focused on only OHP again...but this time it didn't subside...reducing the weight didn't help either, even pullups cause pain now not much during the exercise but as soon i drop down from the bar... though only scapular depression while hanging on the bar relieves the pain a little.

im unable to do any pushing exercise and vertical pulling without pain, dumbell and band rows are ok most of the times...squat and deadlift are fine too...sometimes combing my hair also causes pain

the physio told be to get an MRI which revealed this

-mild Capsular hypertrophic changes seen at acromioclavicular joint with joint effusion, downsloping of acromion and curved undersurface (type II morphology), reduced acromiohumeral distance

- intrasubstance hyperintensities at supraspinatus muscle tendon suggestive of tendonosis, subcoracoid bursitis is seen.

in my present situation what exercises should i add and focus on and which ones to drop? PT has again told me to drop OHP and this time doing it is hurting so i'm clueless now on what to do
    Sounds somewhat similar to what I'm going through (See my 'Shoulder pain' thread in Recovery forum). Will Morris suggested close-grip bench, sets of 2-3 reps, working up to 6-8 sets with adequate rest between sets, at relatively high intensity, regulated by your discomfort level. Make sure you use good form, keeping your scapula adducted the whole time. I'm still feeling some pain after 3 months, so this might take a while. I am benching 170x2x8 now, after hurting my shoulder at 195, restarting around 135 and adding weight each session. Pullups don't really bother me and I'm going to start working in OHP again very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Sounds somewhat similar to what I'm going through (See my 'Shoulder pain' thread in Recovery forum). Will Morris suggested close-grip bench, sets of 2-3 reps, working up to 6-8 sets with adequate rest between sets, at relatively high intensity, regulated by your discomfort level. Make sure you use good form, keeping your scapula adducted the whole time. I'm still feeling some pain after 3 months, so this might take a while. I am benching 170x2x8 now, after hurting my shoulder at 195, restarting around 135 and adding weight each session. Pullups don't really bother me and I'm going to start working in OHP again very soon.
    Hi.. thanks for your feedback..I checked your thread but the issue is that all pushing activities are hurting..even putting weight on my hands while sitting causes pain...also I checked the pic u had posted in that thread.. while your pain location is towards the side..in my case it's mostly in front of my shoulder occassionally spreading to side.

I'm confused on whether to work through pain or focus only on PTs exercises with bands.

Any advice on what exercises to do and what to avoid ?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Any advice on what exercises to do and what to avoid ?
    Thanks
    I think there are at least two active shoulder threads in the Recovery forum right now. Search function will turn up many more. I'm sure there's a thread or two out there that is directly related to your situation.

Good luck!

In spite of your diagnosis, consider looking for trigger points in your rotator cuff muscles at the very least, but not rule out other locations in the shoulder, upper back, etc. My own experience with PTs is that this sort of thing is beyond their area of expertise. The idea of using band exercises usually meets with ridicule here.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    In spite of your diagnosis, consider looking for trigger points in your rotator cuff muscles at the very least, but not rule out other locations in the shoulder, upper back, etc. My own experience with PTs is that this sort of thing is beyond their area of expertise. The idea of using band exercises usually meets with ridicule here.
    thanks...so should i continue to press in spite of pain?? would starr rehab protocol help...previously used it on lower back injury and made progressions.