starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to start using weight lifting shoes?

Default When to start using weight lifting shoes?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Weight lifting shoes are beneficial, I get it. For the novice though, is this something that you need immediately or is there a weight at which you really begin to realize/notice the benefits?

-Josh

First workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    First workout.
    Indeed
    Scott Acosta, SSC, Westside Barbell Coach, USAPL Coach, Nice Guy
    essentialbarbell@yahoo.com
    For the love of God, just do the fucking program

Ideally what Satch said. If it's not in the cards though to get a bonafide pair of lifters right off the hop, you can still get a lot of mileage out of a pair of Chuck's for $50 (plus you can be stylin' outside of the gym in them too!). For what it's worth, I lifted for 2 years in Chuck's before moving to lifters (I'm cheap) and while I do notice a difference now, I doubt I would have noticed much of a difference while doing a NLP.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    Ideally what Satch said. If it's not in the cards though to get a bonafide pair of lifters right off the hop, you can still get a lot of mileage out of a pair of Chuck's for $50 (plus you can be stylin' outside of the gym in them too!). For what it's worth, I lifted for 2 years in Chuck's before moving to lifters (I'm cheap) and while I do notice a difference now, I doubt I would have noticed much of a difference while doing a NLP.
    From experience, I can say you'll notice a difference. I started with Chucks because I didn't want to spend the money. Bought real shoes about a month in since the Chucks were falling apart. Regretted not starting with the lifters.

BTW, if you have limited cash, you can get huge discounts by getting end of life colors of existing shoes. Got mine for about 40% off that way from Rogue.

Brand new Do-wins are on discount from Rogue for $75 right now. Ordered my newest pair two days ago.

Ideally investing in some shoes right away is a good thing. Then I would work on getting a high quality belt next. In the end, I decided to squat and deadlift in flat shoes (Hyper Throws), but I'm happy I at least tried out the lifting shoes for a couple years. I would say from the people I talk to, most people love them for squats. You get mixed reviews on deadlifts. They are also good for bench and OHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    For $50 you could almost get some weight lifting shoes. I don't think they make the Hyper Throws anymore, but those were less than 50. They have a real solid bottom and a metatarsal strap. I think I got mine for $39, which was my best shoe purchase to date.

Immediately. Invest in yourself.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, if you actually need weightlifting shoes to achieve proper depth, chucks and other flat soled shoes wont work. Again the key word is "need". The only way I can reach depth in flat shoes is with my heel lifting up off the ground slightly. And that assumes my back isnt rounding at all, which it might be. So it really is a matter of form and safety to get the shoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast