starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Forearm Injury

Default Potential Forearm Injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    When training today I experienced some very sharp forearm pain, like a tingling sensation.
    After doing 95kgx5x3 on the last bench workout today I only managed 96.25x3,3,2, during which I began to notice the pain. I then couldn't even clean 50kg, so I decided to do some chin ups instead and couldn't even perform one.

I am fairly sure this discomfort is a result of catching cleans in my hands with the elbows pointing to the floor, which I have been doing for about 10 clean workouts adding weight each time, and have only recently started correcting it by dropping the weight and relearning the movement.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I could do to get rid of this pain and speed up recovery?

Thanks.

How much does it impair you now, after the training?
    I'd just ignore it until next training session. If need be, take some ibuprofen. It's not broken.

And you have 125g "plates"? Or 625g plates???

Get good wrist wraps and continue training. If extension is what's bothering you.

Hard to say what’s up without knowing more about your programming. I had some soreness in my wrists that didn’t go away for a few days, and it interfered with my last benching session, too. In my case, it was just a bad programming decision on my part. It’s already feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    Get good wrist wraps and continue training. If extension is what's bothering you.
    How exactly do wrist wraps fix an incorrect rack position? They usually make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    How much does it impair you now, after the training?
    I'd just ignore it until next training session. If need be, take some ibuprofen. It's not broken.

And you have 125g "plates"? Or 625g plates???
    Trained today using wrist wraps on squats and presses and my arms felt fine.
    I guess I just have to start racking cleans correctly every time if I'm to continue training them.

I have 0.5, 0.25 & 0.125 kg plates. So for 96.25 I just added a pair of 0.5 & 0.125's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How exactly do wrist wraps fix an incorrect rack position? They usually make it worse.
    I think he just meant to use wrist wraps for presses until the pain goes away. Not to wear for cleans.

No one commented on how both contradictory (sharp forearm pain, like a tingling sensation) and grossly un-specific, making any diagnosis impossible, the OP was?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Oh yeah, I meant for presses.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Plant View Post
    I have 0.5, 0.25 & 0.125 kg plates. So for 96.25 I just added a pair of 0.5 & 0.125's.
    Yeah, but why? It looks like you're on NLP, so why use the microplates to go from 95kg bench to 96.25kg in the next workout? Why not just add 1kg every time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast