starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Bar recommendation?

Question Beginner Bar recommendation?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Apologies if this thread is in the wrong place, it wasn't clear where it belonged. Feel free to move it...

I am a beginner that got a set of weights from Dick's. At the time, I didn't want to spend an excessive amount of money on weight lifting equipment as I am over 40 and wasn't sure I was going to stick with it. We'll, a couple of weeks in, and I am squatting and pulling over 300 lbs. Trouble is, this seems to be the capacity of the bar which was totally unexpected. Sounds like I need to find a new bar. = )

I saw the Starting Strength Bar. Is that the recommended "next" all around bar or are there others I should be looking at?

It's the best bar for the money you can buy.

The first real bar I bought was a Rogue Ohio Power Bar. For my purposes (lifting for strength, no oly lifting), I can’t see myself ever buying another bar again.

I like the SS Bar and would be getting it if I didn't already have a B&R. That being said you won't go wrong with either and would be happy regardless of which if the two you get.

On another note, if you absolutely need some type of finish on the bat, there is a Texas All American Bar. From what their support told me, the shaft is identical to the SS Bar except it has a black zinc finish. Most if the differences are in the sleeves. SS Bar has narrower collars than the AA. The SS has smoother sleeves. The AA has the option of chrome finish.

Other than those 3 (SS, B&R, or Texas AA) there aren't any other bars you'd like as a "beginner bar". Power bar knurling is too aggressive for volume work or cleans. Ohio Bar has no center knurl.

Rip has a lengthy and thorough video on the SS YouTube channel called "Barbell Basics" that should help in making a decision about your next bar purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Balazs Egerszegi View Post
    Rip has a lengthy and thorough video on the SS YouTube channel called "Barbell Basics" that should help in making a decision about your next bar purchase.
    Barbell Basics | Mark Rippetoe

My first bar a couple years back was a Capps Texas Power Bar. Overall I really like it but the knurling is as aggressive as a honey badger on cocaine. Power cleans (and any olympic lift) are extremely rough on the hands. It definitely teaches you pretty quickly the correct place to hold the bar in your hands for deadlift. It works fine for squat, bench & press but does take a little getting used to. I am not a fan of the black oxide finish. There's really no substitute for the feel of bare metal. To do it over again I would have preferred to get the B&R 2.0 bar if I couldn't find the original version. Now that the Starting Strength bar is available that will be my next bar purchase. I plan on picking up the 20kg for myself and the 10kg for the kiddos. Dual ring marks, center knurl, 28.5mm diameter (25mm in the 10kg), bare steel and reasonably priced? It checks all the boxes.

I picked up the York USA power bar last year. I gave up my original York B&R back to Rogue because one of the collars/bearings had an issue and they took it back on warranty, replacing it with a B&R 2.0. I still liked the York bars and the PB is effectively the B&R, except it is chrome finished and it has the pseudo-split collar. The performance is very good despite York's recent reputation. The only issue is the chrome finish which dulls the grip from the knurl. As such, it's not the best for pulling. It's easy to keep clean and is still good for squats and presses.

starting strength coach development program
    I have a rather strange question. At what weight deadlift is a barbell sleeve expected to break?
    This was the gym's excuse tonite, after I did an AMRAP benchpress (luckily it was only 70%) where the weight seemed to be sliding all over and I hit a hook (that never happens)...after 15 reps, I rack and see the sleeve is broken! The gym didn't seem to be too concerned that I might have gotten hurt when I brought it up front, but blamed the issue on "deadlifts." (Incidentally, the guys I have seen there think 305 is a big deal). No choice in gyms, so I guess I'm in the market for a bar....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast