starting strength gym

Thread: Training while coaching

Default Training while coaching

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys, just wanted to pick your brains on how those of you who coach get your training in.

Right now I'm running the S&C Program for JH/HS kids at the school I work at. I have an AM and PM Session every day and also coach a friend MWF before the kids come in. I'm on an intermediate program MWF so I do my lifts as the guy I'm coaching is resting. To add on top of this I have a pregnant wife who is due in May.

My issue is right now this is requiring me to wake up at 3:45 am MWF so I can get the the weight room, coach/train, then coach the kids from 6-7. After school I coach kids from 4-5ish. I'm kinda ending up in a sandwich where I feel pressed for time. Due to how early I get up I'm in bed by 8-8:30 and the process just keeps going. I fuckin' love what I do, I love working with these snot nosed kids and helping them achieve, the guy I'm training is stronger than he has ever been just 1-2 months in, however I need to have a healthier balance to my life and I am pretty sure this means my training is fucked.

My thoughts..
    - The guy I'm training is getting better, have him lift solo and film his last work set so I can continue to keep tabs on him. Perhaps set up a weekend time when I can coach him 1 on 1.
    - Lift as I can when I can, if that means 1 lift per day after the kids leave then that's what I do. Maybe in the summer when I have more time I can run a cycle and go for some PRs.
    - Gain some quality time to spend with my wife and prepare for a baby.

Based on this info do any of you SSCs or S&C coaches have any words of wisdom?

Simplest thing would be to train with your lifters. Work in, have them stopped and watching you on your sets.

The side benefit is that you show that you're walking the walk.

Thanks for the reply stef. I've given this a try previously and it didn't work out well. I spend a large amount of time coaching while I have kids in the room, saying that teenagers have trouble focusing and staying on task would be an understatement. It was difficult for me to focus on my work and then change gears to focus on keeping the kids lifting safe and lifting appropriately. I do have an instagram account that I post my lifts on and a good portion of the kids follow it, they know that I walk the walk.

I know that Starr was known for doing this, but with teenage lifters that are still learning proper technique and cues it just doesn't work for me. This process of fitting training in around coaching and life will likely require some trail and error. Maybe going with a 4 day split instead of 3 days, cutting my session times down. No doubt when my daughter is born things are going to be rough for a few months pending on how she sleeps. Being a Dad and Husband take priority, as I get a handle on those life changes I'll have a better idea of how training will fit.

Again thank you for your advice stef. Even though that may not work right now it will be something I consider in the future as our athletes get more consistent.