starting strength gym

Thread: Bicep pain during the Squat

Default Bicep pain during the Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been trying to improve my squat for months now, but I every time I get to about 80 kgs or more my left arm start to hurt. And it effects my other lifts as well. The pain is located close to the bicep just where you bend the arm. I have just re-read the book, watched the SS videos about the squat and the placement of the bar and so on and I can't seem to fix it.

I'm not 100% sure the bar is laying at the correct point, but I've tried moving it up and down, and this is the only place where it feels like there is a "shelf". Sometimes, though, it feels like I'm lifting the bar with the scapula, and I don't know if you should have that feeling?

I've also experiemented with the grip width and how far I lift my elbows up, but nothing has worked.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hey Mattias

Looks like you're upper back/thoracic spine isn't really staying in tight extension. As a result the bar is moving around and you're probably trying to keep it stable with your arms unconsciously. Lift your chest, and pull the elbows down when you take the breath. Maintain the upper back extension as you lean over and keep the elbows from cranking upward.
    Also, find a bar with a center knurl or put a piece of athletic tape around the middle so it's less likely to slide around on your back.
    It's a little thing to help keep the bar in place, but I'm surprised how often I see it.

Thanks for the answer Pete!

So I pull the elbows down so they stay about the same angle as my back? Am I also supposed to pull the bar down or "bend it" over my back? I read this and that it was supposed to activate the lats?
    Also what do you think about the bar placement, do it seem fine to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Damsgaard View Post
    Am I also supposed to pull the bar down or "bend it" over my back? I read this and that it was supposed to activate the lats?
    No. Where did you read this?

The bar seems to be in the right spot from what I can see in the video.

From Allan Thrall: YouTube (around the 6 minute mark)

I wouldn't try to externally rotate the arms with the bar on your back. In my experience you exacerbate elbow issues/pain. He may be talking about pulling and keeping the elbows down. Like you're trying to stick them in your back pockets. More shoulder ADduction than external rotation.

starting strength coach development program
    Narrow your grip one finger-width at a time until your elbows are lower and the bar position is tighter.