starting strength gym

View Poll Results: Given limit money, which should I buy?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leather lifting belt

3 15.79%
  • Raised-heel lifting shoes

16 84.21%
  • Neither one, you're fine

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice Advice: Enough $$$ for one or the other--which?

Question Novice Advice: Enough $$$ for one or the other--which?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Guys, learning a lot from Rip and you all reading the forums and articles already. I like SS better than 5x5. Thanks!

So far I've learned I should get shoes and a belt. Ok! I understand that all things being equal, WL shoes would have the priority. Based on what Rip has said in his article and in an "Ask Rip" video, however, my anthropometry makes we wonder if my current shoes are satisfactory and I should get a belt.

I have enough money now to get one or the other. Why am I hesitant to get shoes first? I am a tall guy (6'2"), gaining weight but currently light (185 lbs). I have a short torso relative to my legs, and I think I'm one of those fellows with long-femurs. I seem not to have much room between my ribs and hip crests (maybe 2 inches using a ruler just now along the side of my waist). My current set up is no belt and leather Vibram Five Finger shoes, which do at least have a hard sole (relative to running shoes), zero drop, and even an arch strap. I already know how to brace my gut without pushing out by doing Valsalva maneuver. My technique on squat and DL is pretty good: videos I've taken of myself show no rounding in my lower back.

My question is whether I should purchase a 3" leather belt or a pair of Do-Wins/Adidas Powerlift 3.1s, given my anthropometry? Would getting either of these shoes lift my heels too high given my tall, short-torsoed, long-femured dimensions? Or are shoes with a heel an obvious priority over a belt in my case?

Current weights, in case it helps:

LB Squat (3x5) - 260 lbs
    OHPress (3x5) - 90 lbs
    BPress (3x5) - 150 lbs
    Deadlift (1x5) - 275 lbs using hook grip

Shoes. And I'd go Adidas Powerlifts over Do-Wins unless you have particularly wide feet.

You should always lift with a belt on

For squats just put something under your feet to raise your heels

I would tend to think shoes over belt, based on reading Rip’s stuff and Matt Reynolds on the Barbell Logic podcast. Squatting with the Vibram Five Fingers seems the same as barefoot. I’m a newbie, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but what I liked about switching to lifting shoes is the support. Combo of the hard sole and the strap really helped my foot feel secure and not as wobbly. I think you can also get shoes that are flatter if that would help you. My Rogue/Do-Wins have a 3/4” rise I think, but I imagine there are some with 1/2” or maybe less. My 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoran View Post
    Shoes. And I'd go Adidas Powerlifts over Do-Wins unless you have particularly wide feet.
    Do you have Do-Wins? Is it your experience that they are exceptionally wide?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Colliflower View Post
    I have the new Do Wins on the Rogue website (bought them a few weeks ago). Rogue advises you to buy a half size down from your normal running shoes. I wear an 11.5, so I ordered an 11 Do Win. I have normal width feet and these shoes are not wide at all to me. Actually, they fit kind of snug, but in a good way. They fit perfect.

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. I’m going to order some pairs of the shoes, try for fit, and keep the winner. I can get a belt this coming June when I’ll have some extra income from work.

I’m a little concerned about the Adidas being EVA in the heel rather than TPU, especially since it isn’t inconceivable that within the next two years I get to weights heavy enough to compress EVA. Other users on the forums say compression starts around upper 400s in lbs. I’d like my shoes to last longer than that.

(I haven’t been back to lifting but for nine months after three years off, and using SS my weights are still progressing 5lbs a workout. I surpassed my old maxes several weeks ago.)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Colliflower View Post
    Not specifically. My reasoning is that the Adidas tend to last longer, but they also run narrow, so if you have wide feet, the Adidas probably wouldn't work. Not that the do-wins are bad. They are still good shoes, but the Adidas are a bit better at a similar price.

The Starting Strength Weightlifting Boot is in prototype right now. They will not be cheap, but those of you with the means should probably wait a little while and see if these fit the bill.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, Rip! Let me guess: .5" wooden or stacked leather heel and an all-leather upper?

Why "boot"? Higher ankle support than a "shoe"?

Alas, probably too precious for me and too late. But enticing nonetheless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast