starting strength gym

Thread: Drawings for power racks

Default Drawings for power racks

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

New to the forum and SS so please be gentle since I know milk consumption can make you grumpy.

I am too skint to buy a power rack, but have freinds who are good with metal fabrication and am owed some favours. Ive googled for all of 5 minutes, but cant find any decent quality drawings for something suitable. Does anyone have any experience building their own freestanding power rack/bench and any reference drawings, stress calc?

Thanks in advance

I haven't had my milk yet today.

I'm assuming you have seen the plans in the blue book? I thought about building one, but then remembered how I hate drilling holes so I just bought one. Steel isn't as cheap as it used to be.

There really isn't much to them. Width to give your bar a little wiggle room and height to fit under your ceiling. I think a lot of manufacturers give some or most of the dimensions. I could put a tape on mine if there's anything specific you need.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Blue is 3rd ed. Basic Barbell Training? I have a peach coloured book and that is it. Funds are tight but realistically I am going to order practical programming before the 3rd edition (I have the app which has some of the updated text but not the section to which you referr). Luckily I have a quantity of 3 & 4mm box section and some very heavy duty dexion racking that probably closer to 8mm and the drilling/fabrication will be done by someone with the gear and an idea in that regard. There will be some expense for sure but minimal.

Im probably over considering the need to rate the rack and should over engineer it from a material standpoint for peace of mind. You are right - its fairly simple design.

Just found this https://i.pinimg.com/474x/b2/9e/31/b...1066f950bf.jpg which might do the job. Thanks for the offer to run a tape measure over yours - how does it compare the image?

Pretty close in width I think but I'd have to measure it when I get home to say for sure. It's advertised as having 43" inside width (1092mm), and made of 3"x3" square tubing.

Here:

Lifting Platform + Rack Plans

and

HERE:

...happy building, and good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    Perfect, thanks