starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 Pushups and your good.

Yes (at age 74), but not in 30 seconds. In the study they set an 80 per minute cadence.

Quote Originally Posted by grinnell3 View Post
    Yes (at age 74), but not in 30 seconds. In the study they set an 80 per minute cadence.
    There is always a catch.

Quote Originally Posted by grinnell3 View Post
    What depth were the firefighters going to on their pushups?

A lot of people barely flex their elbows when they do them.

I used to be good for 80 pushups in two minutes.

At age 69, I can do 40 in about 50 seconds. But the last 10 are really hard and I nearly have a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by KenG View Post
    At age 69, I can do 40 in about 50 seconds. But the last 10 are really hard and I nearly have a heart attack.
    Well you must remember when you are doing pushups you are pushing against the mass of the earth, so it is better to do bench presses as these are only a few kg's and you only have gravity working against you.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Well you must remember when you are doing pushups you are pushing against the mass of the earth, so it is better to do bench presses as these are only a few kg's and you only have gravity working against you.
    Wal, you are too funny!

What makes pushups so much harder than the benchpress is holding your middle up the whole time. Just like a plank only harder!

Quote Originally Posted by KenG View Post
    That would be counter productive ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    It's not a problem for Chuck Norris.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    Wal, you are too funny!

What makes pushups so much harder than the benchpress is holding your middle up the whole time. Just like a plank only harder!
    It is just physics. The mass of the earth is 5.98 x 10 to the 24 power Kg and when you do pushups you are not pushing up as such but pushing away the mass of the earth. Where as a benchpress you may press say 50Kgs therefore you are pushing away from the the mass of the earth only 50Kgs. F=mxa Force = mass x acceleration (9.8) therefore 50kg x 9.8 = 490 Newtons. If you use the same equation for a pushup against the mass of the earth 5.98 x to the 24th power Kg x 9.8, well that is a heaps of Newtons, so the bench press is easier. Ha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast