starting strength gym

Thread: Rogue RML-390BT power rack

Default Rogue RML-390BT power rack

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm considering buying this Rogue rack - Rogue RML-390 Bolt Together Power Rack | Rogue Australia | Rogue Australia

My only concern is the inside depth of 24" - is this likely to be too shallow to do squats comfortably inside the rack? Has anyone used this or similar?

Also considering the squat stand - SML-2 Rogue 90" ML Squat Stand Australia | Rogue Australia - but the spotter arms are also only 24", so much the same concern.

Any thoughts or direct experience?

Not too shallow in my experience.

I’ve squatted in a 24” deep rack before with no issues. The bar goes straight up and down anyway.

My rack is 24" depth and it works just fine. I really believe the extra depth is more of a preference than a need. On that note I tend to prefer the R series over the RML series because a lot of people tend to hit the plates against the uprights on the RML. The extra inch reaches to the outside of the rack toward the plates. Of course the bar you use can mitigate that depending on the thickness of the collars.

Also if it fits your budget the RML-390 would be a better pick that. The SML-2. More versatile and safer (not the the SML is t versatile or safe, it's just less so)

Ok, good thoughts, thanks all.

I also concur that 24" depth is not a problem for squats. Also, I think wsmorran is smart to point out the R-3 over the RML, though it doesn't appear the Oz Rogue sire lists the R series at all, just the RML. I'd guess they're trying to keep the inventory to a minimum on the Oz site for logistical reasons. Perhaps it can be "custom ordered"?

I have the RML-690. It has way more depth than is needed. I'm not the biggest fan of the pin & pipe safeties but they do the job. I cut pieces of PVC pipe to slip over the safeties to protect my bar.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    I also concur that 24" depth is not a problem for squats. Also, I think wsmorran is smart to point out the R-3 over the RML, though it doesn't appear the Oz Rogue sire lists the R series at all, just the RML. I'd guess they're trying to keep the inventory to a minimum on the Oz site for logistical reasons. Perhaps it can be "custom ordered"?
    Yes, stock in Oz certainly seems limited, so these are my options. I'll go with the RML - given consensus is 24" is fine, that was my only concern. At least if it is a little shallow and I drop the bar, it'll still be within the cage. With the open squat rack and same length spotter arms, the bar could miss the arms completely. Shame I can't get it a little taller though - I'm 6'3", so no overhead press in the cage for me!

starting strength coach development program
    Definitely no OHP in the cage (I'm 6'2" and it's about an inch too short on the 90" rack). Spotter arms are the only solution for pin presses and the like....