starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check (255)

Default Squat Form Check (255)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube

• Valgus knees: I'm working on solving this "on the way down", per advice given to others here. It's all that I think about, but I really struggle to control it. My adductors are routinely sore. It has gotten better (i.e. doesn't happen on first few reps) over the last two weeks as I really focus on it. Not sure if I should drop weight until it happens 0% of the time, or just keep focusing on it.
    • Tight upper back
    • Depth (especially on last few reps)

Thanks for any feedback. This forum is an incredible resource.

Add unlocking hips before knees to your list.

I don't think you're reaching depth there,
    that and the sloppy knees,
    maybe back off a few and work back up.

Thank you both for the feedback.

You’ll find these a lot easier if you hit depth - you’re not getting any rebound out of the bottom right now, which is a source of suffering. Focus on unlocking your knees and setting them out and apart in the first third of the rep and then *keeping them there*. A good way to feel this is to squat down without a load and push your knees out using your elbows with your hands together. Once you’ve got a feel for it, try it with the bar and actively push your knees out. If you do this right, you will feel a tightness in your hamstrings and a rebound out of the bottom (favorite Rip cue: “boi~ng”).

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Erik. Re: finding my bottom position ("... squat down without a load and push your knees out using your elbows with your hands together"), I've found that difficult. My hips are flexible, and its hard to find a point where I'm sufficiently leaned over and my hamstrings are tight – everything just feels loose when I'm down there. Any advice?