starting strength gym

Thread: Long-term middle-finger numbness, anyone else?

Default Long-term middle-finger numbness, anyone else?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Fellow Master Athletes (I do so like Sully's diplomatic term for those of us over 40).

A few weeks ago, while doing presses I felt a sharp electric-like jolt in my left forearm.

Soon after, I began experiencing some tingling and numbness in my middle finger (yes, THAT ONE).

I waited a couple of weeks, thinking it'd go away, but it's still there. It's not painful, just numb toward the tip (on the side proximal to the thumb) and if I stretch out my arm I still feel a little jolt of electricity.

I suspect that I pinched something somewhere in my cervicals/shoulder. I've been taking it easier with the press but other than that life (and training) as usual.

Now it's been a month and, although not a bother, I am starting to wonder whether I should see a doctor about it. But before doing that, I was curious to hear if other members on this board have had similar experiences.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

I have an old shoulder injury. My fingers go numb/tingle sometimes. It starts on my fifth digit, and sometimes progresses to the fourth and then third digit.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
    I waited a couple of weeks, thinking it'd go away, but it's still there. It's not painful, just numb toward the tip (on the side proximal to the thumb) and if I stretch out my arm I still feel a little jolt of electricity.

I suspect that I pinched something somewhere in my cervicals/shoulder. I've been taking it easier with the press but other than that life (and training) as usual.

Now it's been a month and, although not a bother, I am starting to wonder whether I should see a doctor about it. But before doing that, I was curious to hear if other members on this board have had similar experiences.

Thank you in advance for your replies!
    If It's just the one finger, it's very unlikely to be something in the shoulder or neck. If it's really just the one finger, or one side of one finger, it would have to be a problem in the finger or hand. More likely, it's in the wrist, the median nerve, and it is affecting several fingers and the middle is just for whatever reason the most noticeable.

Most common median nerve problem is carpal tunnel syndrome. You can go to the doc and get an EMG, but you can easily perform some of the physical exam tests for yourself (google Tinel's and Phalen's sign or read up on carpal tunnel in general).

If you have mild carpal tunnel, the first thing would be to wear a wrist splint to keep your wrist straight. This can be worn all the time, but that's annoying, so many people just wear it during sleep, which can be sufficient to relieve the pressure on the nerve and allow it to recover.

When lifting, focus on keeping your wrists straight or slightly flexed, don't let them get into hyperextension.

afp20030715p265-f1.gif