starting strength gym

Thread: A program for me?

Default A program for me?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    OK, so I've started some weight training and I've been learning the lifts used in Starting Strength. I'm a couple of weeks in,with some modifications.
    First of all, at 69, and in excellent general health, my goals are not to get big and super strong. I'm in it for overall health,maintenance of bone density and improvements in strength for daily,fairly active tasks.

My major limitation is that I had a left shoulder (my dominant arm) injury about a year ago. After an orthopod's evaluation,he gave me the option of going for MRI, and then to a surgeon or waiting it out to see if it improves. He,and I,suspected injury to some part of the rotator cuff-- I had my right rotator cuff repaired some years back, and this injury felt much like the recovery from that surgery. As time went on,the shoulder did gradually improve. At first I could barely lift that arm over my head either to the side or in front, and the motion of a dumbell press was extremely painful. Now,I can move that arm in any direction with only a twinge. However,I'm left with weakness on that side. For reference, I can only do 10 dumbell presses of 10 lb without pooping out, whereas I can do that with no problem on the right.

Squats,bench presses,deadlifts and chinups (assisted) are OK and I'm doing those regularly.
    Overhead press is pretty much a non starter-- I can't even press the empty Olympic bar because of the left shoulder.I haven't tried the Clean-- because of it's explosive nature I'm afraid of hurting the shoulder again.

Surgery on the left shoulder is out of the question. It being my dominant arm, I can't afford a 3 month painful healing process. As it is, I can do all activities of daily life with no problem,so surgery isn't necessary for day to day living.If it got worse, I'd have to consider it.

So,after this long winded discussion, does anyone have any suggestions for continuing my weight training? Substitute lifts for the press and clean? Other strength program altogether?

If you're still with me at this point,thanks for your patience. Paul,Frederick MD

Paul,
    You are close to a very good SS affiliated gym in Westminster. Westminster Strength and Conditioning. They have a masters program running during the week and have extensive experience with lifters in your situation. It is well worth the time to contact them and arrange an in person consult and maybe even start lifting there. Beau and his team of coaches are the best in the business!!

Rich Burnette

Also I had really good luck with this video by Rip.

Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe

Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe

I used motorcycle straps suspended a bar (doll rod at first) from the chin up bar on my home rack.
    I duct taped the strap hooks for security.

But, yeah if you can get to a Starting Strength coach you'll get better and more specific help.

Quote Originally Posted by Richburn13 View Post
    Paul,
    You are close to a very good SS affiliated gym in Westminster. Westminster Strength and Conditioning. They have a masters program running during the week and have extensive experience with lifters in your situation. It is well worth the time to contact them and arrange an in person consult and maybe even start lifting there. Beau and his team of coaches are the best in the business!!

Rich Burnette
    I second that, the missus and I did a private lesson with him a few years ago. It really helped.