starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder pain

Default Shoulder pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've developed pain in my shoulder which mostly hurts during the overhead press. It doesn't hurt much on bench. It seems to be at the pec maj insertion into the humerus. It really screams during pec flys (which I don't do- I just discovered that when I was trying to isolate the pain.) I also feel pain on the posterior humerus under the poste deltoid. I've had to drop ohp to 85 lbs max. I’m 57. Any ideas what's going on and what to do about it?

I've found doing hammer curls into an over head press with light dumbbells fixes my shoulder issues. Use 20 pound or so dumbbells and do a few sets of 12-15 reps.

I’ll try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've found that most pain from weightlifting is due to trigger points in muscles that aren't necessarily where you feel the pain. Shoulder pain is often produced by trigger points in the various rotator cuff muscles, but it's helpful to look at a chart to know where to start poking around. If you find the right location, you might solve your problem instantly, but sometimes it takes a week or so of self-treatment. Google on "trigger points shoulder pain".

I've had good luck with this.

Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe

It works the range of motion. YMMV.