starting strength gym

Thread: Northern Colorado

Default Northern Colorado

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am in the Loveland/Fort Collins area. I am interested in becoming a coach someday and was interested in donating my time to get experience coaching people. I have some offer in to a few people I know, but that is really just to get them started. I certainly will know more than them, am far off from calling myself a coach.

Any other Ideas on how to gain experience?

I am currently doing as much reading as possible.

No need to donate your time, Matthew! We have a career path for you at Starting Strength Denver. Check out info on apprenticing at a Starting Strength Gym and the path to the SSC here: Careers | Starting Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    No need to donate your time, Matthew! We have a career path for you at Starting Strength Denver. Check out info on apprenticing at a Starting Strength Gym and the path to the SSC here: Careers | Starting Strength
    Thank you Nick and unfortunately Denver is going to be too much of a drive for me currently living in Loveland. I am on the road as an outside sales rep during the week. I still have young children in the house, so time is limited. I need to figure out something in my immediate area for now. Things could change as my kids get older, but for right now I want to do as much preparation as I can where I am at.

I am also training myself 3 days a week and that is a non negotiable. I'm currently on my second round of the NLP. I had an injury in 2017-2018 that slowed me down. I'm back up to my all time highs and feeling strong.

I understand there may be no good answers for me in the immediate future, but that doesn't hold me back from throwing it out there to see what is possible.

Definitely looking forward to being a SSC coach.

The best thing you can do is to get as many people to coach as you can. Teach the squat to anyone who will allow you to show them and build up some clientele. Real-life coaching experience is what separates successful SSC candidates. We have a coach development course, but it won't get you there unless you're actually coaching a bunch of people.

I'm in a similar situation and would like to be a coach one day if I grow up. I don't know that there are plans for an SS gym in my area, but there is an affiliate gym about 20-25 minutes from me. Do the affiliate gyms have apprentice programs?

I found one person and started last Saturday and also worked with him today. 16 year old, 6'3 230# sophomore football player. He is truly a beginner. Taught him squat, press, bench and deadlift.

I have also offered to go in and help out the whole team. Should be speaking to one of the coaches soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Prine View Post
    Do the affiliate gyms have apprentice programs?
    Many affiliates have interns, in fact we have several working through the Coach Prep Course right now.

If you're interested, get in contact with them to find out if there are any openings and what you need to do to convince them to give you a shot.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the advice, Stef. I'll do that.