starting strength gym

Thread: Groin Pain after Squat

Default Groin Pain after Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Guys,

So yesterday I had some groin pain after my squats (130lbs 5x5), and I don't know if I should "squat through it," but that's what I did. It doesn't hurt during the squat, but it does after the set is over. It is gone this morning, however.

I did some research and it all led to a deadend. One coach said my stance is too wide and to jump up in the air and stand for squats as my feet land. Tried it and that felt even worse, so I went back to my previous stance. Another said it comes from leaning forward too much on the squat, but A) I know that's bullshit from watching Rip's videos, and B) Both you and Rip have seen my squat form and have told me I am still too upright on the way down, which I'm working on, so that can't be it either.

Any advice is appreciated.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Hard to say without a video.

This isn't a great set but it's the only one I filmed yesterday.

YouTube

As I say, I know my back angle still isn't horizontal enough. I am working on it. I go down with the intention every time of being more horizontal but something mental stops me; Feels like I can't control my down speed with the weight on my back - like I'm free falling. I can do it with the empty bar, but not with 125lbs on my back. Took a 20% deload to work on it as it was worse before and worked my way back up, but it's still not quite there.

Thanks Rip, good video.

I think the problem is I’m not pointing nipples to the floor. That needs to happen at the top before I go down for the squat right? Also, should I be arching my lower back to create that nipple pointing at the top and maintain the arch through the motion? I.e “Drop your dick between your knees?”

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Romanelli View Post
    Thanks Rip, good video.

I think the problem is I’m not pointing nipples to the floor. That needs to happen at the top before I go down for the squat right? Also, should I be arching my lower back to create that nipple pointing at the top and maintain the arch through the motion? I.e “Drop your dick between your knees?”
    You really should read the book. Really.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree. I am working on that in tandem.