starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patella issues

Default Patella issues

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all.

Used to train the SS programme a few years back. Long story short I worked my way up to a 120kg ish squat and then injured myself from some combination of the weights and playing football (soccer to you Americans).

I have had coaching checks via a London based SS coach in the past and form checks on here. Out of date now of course, as I havent trained weights properly in over 2 years.

So, back story out the way. I want to start squatting again but I still have knee issues. Ive extensively researched the topic and seen doctors and physios. None of which has really helped me much but i can at least be fairly sure on what the issue could be.

It is some combination of:
    1.chronic patella tendonitis likely caused by scar tissue on the tendon-patella join.
    2. patellofemoral pain syndrome around and under the patella.
    3. Genetic factors with regards to my small knees, flat feet, long proportioned legs and poorly aligned patella.

I get this issue in both knees.

MRI scans confirmed a small meniscus tear in my right knee but not significant enough to operate on, about 4 years ago now maybe more.

When i do any sports which load the knee eg soccer or hiking (walking downhill is worse) or squatting, i get patella tendon pain during and a whole knee ache and stiffness following the exercise. I can mountain bike ok, presumably because there is no impact loading with the cycling.

I do stretching, which seems to help a little, and i cross massage across the tendon to try and mash up the scar tissue, which also seems to help a little. I now also wear insoles for flat feet which also helps and was never previously highlighted as a contributer until my research identified it recently. Professionals I have seen along the way have been utter crap to be honest, I have no confidence in what any of them have to say on the matter. All my improvements have been self discovered, piecing together bits of knowledge from all over the place.

But I still have the pain. Im desparate to get lifting again but this is so frustrating. I am 39 by the way, not young any more. I want lifting to fit into a general level of activity which includes footy, cycling and hiking. I want to lift again because i can tell my legs are atrophied, probably partly because of my knee issues which can make it difficult to tense my quads up hard.

Id appreciate any advice on what I know isa complete nightmare of an injury topic.

Thanks.

Dan have you ever considered STOP playing football? Maybe permanently

Much easier to just stop training.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Velazquez View Post
    Dan have you ever considered STOP playing football? Maybe permanently
    Honestly it makes no difference. I play 6 a side once a week for an hour with work colleagues on artificial turf. We started this last summer and before we did it i had the exact same knee issues. After several months doing it i think my knees are, if anything, partially improved but this could be because of the insoles, stretching and other things ive been doing alongside things. Ive played tonight, I could keep going for the full hour and was sprinting up and down the pitch ok, but after the drive home Im now very stiff and the bones ache all across and inside my knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Much easier to just stop training.
    Dont know if this is genuine response but I really want to train as i consider both fitness and strength to be important to me. I am not as happy with myself since I have stopped lifting.

One physio I saw basically said theres no way to fix this just got to manage it. Given you coaches sucessfully manage to train older people with presumably joint issues also then there has to be a way for me to manage this somehow and still train.

I have said many times on this forum that knee tendonitis is chronic, difficult to manage, and may be a permanent condition. Some people get it, some are spared. Mine are the same way, and have been for 35 years. Futbowl, as you people call it, contributed to mine.

Just been reading about osteoarthritis which fits my symptoms well also.

The (medical) advice seems to be that keeping up exercise helps and that the condition benefits from strength training. However another article says avoid stressing the joint so running and weightlifting are both out. Catch 22!

There has to be a way Im not willing to just give up.

I'm 50 years old. 20 plus years at FedEx. The number one and two top injuries there are knee and then back. That's my reason to lift (along with the fact that I enjoy it) I do not play recreational sports or hobbies outside the gym because guess what? Knee pain. And besides they don't pay the bills. My wife has coworkers who always complained about knee pain. She tells them "Stop running". They nod in agreement and continue running. I guess it comes down to what you whats more important to you......soccer, hiking etc or strength training. Some can do both and some can't

Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    Just been reading about osteoarthritis which fits my symptoms well also.

The (medical) advice seems to be that keeping up exercise helps and that the condition benefits from strength training. However another article says avoid stressing the joint so running and weightlifting are both out. Catch 22!.
    Have you been diagnosed with osteoarthritis? When you say "weightlifting" are you referring to the sport contested in the Olympics, or are you using it as a broad term for resistance training with weights?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Have you been diagnosed with osteoarthritis? When you say "weightlifting" are you referring to the sport contested in the Olympics, or are you using it as a broad term for resistance training with weights?
    Like in said in my OP, medical professionals have been completely crap throughout the whole journey. However if OA is something that can be diagnosed easily it could be worth me going back to GP and specifically asking them to check on that. Ive only read about OA fairly recently.

When I say weightlifting i mean the starting strength programme. Its the only lifting ive ever done. I didnt lift until i was 29 years old, having been very underweight as child and young adult. Im average weight now (lifting helped me get there) but im back to being untrained and would have to start again on the programme.

I seem to remember having knee ache symptoms when i previously trained weights, and lifting actually eased it. It would then return over the next couple days until the next session eased it again. Now though I have much more direct pain.

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe think about it like an athlete's yearly program.
    What many do is train off-season to build up strength, conditioning, etc for the regular season.

BUT in your case, at 39 y.o. and detained, it may TAKE A WHOLE YEAR for the (initial) build up, instead of a few months.
    Your body doesn't adapt as well as 14-28 y.o. man's would.
    And you may not be athletically endowed to begin with in terms of recovery, and your bone problem.

Try this: stop doing soccer for now, which IMO is a very demanding sport on the knees and ankles, and lift consistently for an ENTIRE YEAR.
    Then come back to soccer and see what happens.

Then, at that point, you may have to do isolated soccer drills, exercises, controlled sprints, etc in a very controlled way to keep your skills up....coupled with lifting weights of course. Conditioning could come in the form of low-impact/low eccentric load HIIT, or interval training. Airbike, sled pushes, etc. No mindless jogging/running.

What I'm saying is playing competitive games for hours and hours and over and over to simply "get better" at soccer may not be in the cards for you any longer.
    It may not work that way anymore.

Or, just lift, and hike and enjoy nature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast