starting strength gym

Thread: Dislocated finger - need deadlift/PC substitutes for a couple weeks

Default Dislocated finger - need deadlift/PC substitutes for a couple weeks

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, I dislocated (and reset) my ring finger on my right hand and have some grip ability but am sure I can't pull what I've been working up to on my DL (currently at 275 x 5). I am looking for advice on DL and PC weights and sets/reps while that finger heals. I can maintain my NLP on squats and press and bench.

Would appreciate thoughts/advice on lowering DL/PC weight and increasing reps while the finger heals.

Thanks!!

Use straps and do your regular numbers.

Thanks, Rip. Will do

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Use straps and do your regular numbers.
    I agree with Rip. I severely dislocated a finger while playing football in college and it didn't impact my lifting at all. I was not doing any heavy deadlifts at the time (because our S&C coach did not program them for us), but we did lots of cleans. I think you will be surprised at how little this affects your training.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    I agree with Rip. I severely dislocated a finger while playing football in college and it didn't impact my lifting at all. I was not doing any heavy deadlifts at the time (because our S&C coach did not program them for us), but we did lots of cleans. I think you will be surprised at how little this affects your training.
    Thanks, John. Appreciate the reply. Got straps and getting back after it tomorrow.

Curious is to how you are dealing with it. I dislocated 3 fingers at the middle knuckle on my non-dominant left hand and I am having grip issues with my middle finger during deadlifts and pullups.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMC View Post
    Curious is to how you are dealing with it. I dislocated 3 fingers at the middle knuckle on my non-dominant left hand and I am having grip issues with my middle finger during deadlifts and pullups.
    Steve,

So, after about 3 weeks working with straps it's going well. I use them for deadlifts (all sets) and chins. I have found that the finger doesn't bother me at all on Power Cleans but that's because the weight isn't that heavy. They're a little goofy with chins just getting them wrapped but I've got that down now. I know some of the folks on the forum make fun of people doing chins with straps but with these finger injuries it's a necessity.

Hope that helps, and hope you're healing up.

Brett