starting strength gym

Thread: Volume sensitive/TSFOSB

Default Volume sensitive/TSFOSB

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last year I got into some higher volume TSFOSB type programming. Although I had a couple of successful runs with it, the program eventually got the best of me and drove me into the ground. Recently I’ve been using a rotating LP for the SQ, because I had some pretty bad knee tendinitis, and doing just one top set each week allowed me to still train while my knee slowly healed. I also hit some new PRs in the 7-8 rep range, but eventually I think the lack of volume started to bring the program to a halt. From experience, I’m volume sensitive to the point where it’s hard for me to recover from moderately heavy sets across, but neither can I progress by just doing one heavy top set per week. So I’ve come up with a template that somewhat follows the TSFOSB guidelines. The numbers are based exclusively off of my recent working set weights, no percentages. My most recent 5RM is 425. I just illustrated heavy day loads, although I plan to do a light SQ later in the week as well. Just wanting to get some more opinions to make sure it’s at least plausible.

Week 1
    385x5x3

Week 2
    400x5x3

Week 3
    410x5x3

Week 4
    400x3x2

Week 5
    430x5
    Last edited by Bradley Gish; 04-11-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Well, no responses so I guess it can’t be too awfully flawed. I’ll put it into practice and see what happens. This is very on the conservative end of the spectrum for volume, so worst case scenario is that I may eventually have to add more, which is better than the contrary IMO.

Could you post a view with 2-3 5 week cycles. Also are you incorporating back off sets to drive volume after top set? I ran TSFOSB for 5 months last year and loved it until it drove me into the ground on fatigue. My fault for not seeing the tell tales. That being said I'm also 48.

I’m beginning the base of the cycle today, and decided to mimic closely the template laid out in Barbell Perscription. The first 4 weeks would look like this:

370x5x4

395x5x5

345x5x2

445x3x3

Upon Running through this 2-3 times, I may consider adding an intensification and peaking block. Last time I ran TSFOSB I did something similar to this:

Mon. Thur.
    370x5x5 320x2x10

400x5x5 345x2x10

455x3
    425x5x5 370x2x10

425x3x3 370x2x5

470x3x3

I ran through this base cycle twice, then it just drove me into the ground during the 3rd cycle. With the 1st example, there is significant less volume. I’ll only be squatting once a week, so surely this won’t be too much, and I should be able to handle a heavy 5x5 once a month.
    Last edited by Bradley Gish; 04-15-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks for the clarity. I hope I'm following this correctly and your ok with a few questions. So running through the first 4 weeks (2SFOSB) for 2-3 weeks with single squat day per week. Then a 6 week Int/Peak block. I'm interested to hear how this performs. I'd be a bit cautious of the 2x10 after 5x5 after 8-12 weeks of once per week squatting. Is the intent there to have a 2 week accumulation phase ? Then a mid-cycle back off to mid/high intensity with 455x3, followed by a higher intensity accumulation phase and a final performance week?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Thanks for the clarity. I hope I'm following this correctly and your ok with a few questions. So running through the first 4 weeks (2SFOSB) for 2-3 weeks with single squat day per week. Then a 6 week Int/Peak block. I'm interested to hear how this performs. I'd be a bit cautious of the 2x10 after 5x5 after 8-12 weeks of once per week squatting. Is the intent there to have a 2 week accumulation phase ? Then a mid-cycle back off to mid/high intensity with 455x3, followed by a higher intensity accumulation phase and a final performance week?
    The second example was how I had run the program previously. Subsequently it drove me into the ground. I plan to run with the first example this time around, then just go from there once I get a feel of it. Is it absolutely necessary to run an intensification and peaking phase if not competing for an event? Could you just run a few accumulation blocks, taking a low stress week after so many?
    Last edited by Bradley Gish; 04-17-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gish View Post
    The second example was how I had run the program previously. Subsequently it drove me into the ground. I plan to run with the first example this time around, then just go from there once I get a feel of it. Is it absolutely necessary to run an intensification and peaking phase if not competing for an event? Could you just run a few accumulation blocks, taking a low stress week after so many?
    Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. I agree I don't think its necessary to run an Int/Peak phase, IMO the 2SFOSB plan is really a series of mini Accum/INT/Peak and if its working and simple I wouldn't change. If you were going to compete I'd probably try a 6-8 week taper like the Classic Powerlifting Taper in PPST3. That being said, I've seen some of your recent posts with Sq 427x7 and DL 495x6. You may want to schedule in a meet this year as your platform numbers might surprise you. I follow on in your log from here on out.

starting strength coach development program
    I appreciate that Jeff, and I’ll definitely keep it in mind.